turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal hvy wt #7

Started by kickin wing, February 13, 2017, 12:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickin wing

Alright fellas i shot fed hvy wt 7s outta my browning and now i got a h&r turkey gun and put a burris ff3 on it and am using my same .685 sumtoy choke that i used in the browning. My problem now is sighting in the ff3 with these shells at 40 yrds.  Ive noticed in the past and have seen it mentioned here that these loads are inconsistent in p.o.i.  to some extent but the way this is going ill go broke or wear the gun out before its zeroed in. Should i try zeroing in at 20 or 30 ? Ill shoot one and the biggest concentration of pellets will be 6 in. High and right ok adjust my scope shoot another and hit back where i moved it from.  :angry9:  i am sitting in a chair with the gun rested in a sandbag on a stool and i swear i am not flinching. Im little over 6ft. And weigh 265 big framed fella i can handle this. My browning abolt 300 rem. Ultra mag is a beast and i can drill the same hole at 200 yrds 3 outta 4 times. Yes it hurts but call me crazy i just cant get enough of it. What would you guys reccomend that i do ? These shells are about $6.25 each and ive sent $25 out the barrel this morning.  :help:

Old Gobbler

Make sure......

no wind , not even a 10 mph breeze ...

Warm weather .....not 40 degrees,  we're talking warm weather , if it's not warm with no breeze .....go home ....come back another day. A 10 mph side wind will drift your pattern almost a foot at 40 yds and chilly Temps will open up your pattern --

Buy a box of cheap lead loads, winchester turkey. Remington turkey  ,(NOT STEEL DUCK LOADS,  ) and zero the gun in with those loads first at 30 yards use a big piece of paper ......,take your time and zero it in

clean the barrel down and then use one of those good shells and fire that at 40 yards

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

kickin wing

Thanks ill give it a shot. The wind was blowing yesterday a little. And it was 42 deg. Ill definantly be ordering some cheaper shells.

tha bugman

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 13, 2017, 11:01:46 PM
Make sure......

Warm weather .....not 40 degrees,  we're talking warm weather , if it's not warm with no breeze .....go home ....come back another day. A 10 mph side wind will drift your pattern almost a foot at 40 yds and chilly Temps will open up your pattern --

Buy a box of cheap lead loads, winchester turkey. Remington turkey  ,(NOT STEEL DUCK LOADS,  ) and zero the gun in with those loads first at 30 yards use a big piece of paper ......,take your time and zero it in

clean the barrel down and then use one of those good shells and fire that at 40 yards
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potter

Did u get those 7s figured out yet?I am waiting on sumtoy choke to test with them

Rem Man

Is is possible your scope is defective?  There is a pile of recoil from that baby going into the scope. I would check the scope in a bore sighter to see if it's moving properly. I shoot the same ammo out of my bps 10 and the stuff is down right nasty on birds!! Take my advise and don't get caught up in the counting pellets. That hw7 will do the job!!!! And you don't need 200-300 in a 10 inch. Good luck!!

potter

Good advice rem man.i do need to stop counting pellets and start hunting, just started making plans to hunt green ridge maryland for the first, cant wait!!!

turkey buster

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 13, 2017, 11:01:46 PM
Make sure......

Great advice. Did we all notice the remark about the wind at 40yards? Just because we check patterns at 40 yards doesn't mean we need to always shoot that far for turkeys or further as I've seen some say.

TRex18

I went through a ton of FHW7s......same thing....rem man got me figured out......they were just inconsistent on every shell....or every 2 shells.....cant rely on those...so i quit shooting them...

If you have a more open choke....like a 720ish....try the MagBlends......they are hammers as well.

Old Gobbler

The federal wads are a bugger....you shoot just one of them and they will leave a plastic buildup up and down the bore and choke and open up the pattern on your second shot , lots of people try these shells out at the range and can't get the numbers up to what they see here .

Clean barrel ......this is how I do it ....bore cleaning solvent .....then a drill with a dowel and steel wool , 30 seconds tops ..., of you have gas ports avoid that area .....I wad up paper towels and ram it down the bore (choke removed ) until it's dry .....look down the bore , mirror , Clean the choke with a cleaner and brush , dry it out with patches  -- NO OIL ---sunny day , no wind ....go shoot

The second shot .....steel wool on a dowel again , sometimes I use carb/choke cleaner on a cool barrel , paper towels again .NO OIL... EACH SHOT

My sp10 will shoot 200 like this no problem , if I try being lazy and not cleaning the bore ...the second shot looks like 165-175 , the plastic fowling (on my gun) opens up the pattern every single time ,

Interaction between the bore/choke of a turkey gun and the shot charge is what dictates how the shot charge is going to perform 30 ...40 yards away , those federal wads are real weird things if you've ever shot one and picked up the wad and noticed how hard it is you'll know it's quite different than what other ammo makers are making

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

potter

Just got sumtoy 685 to try with fed hw7, now all I need is the weather to cooperate,  kickinwing does your choke look like this?

Tomcat655

They pancake with a 695 Trulock and are consistent I shoot the number 6 that sportsman guide still sell ... Wollop ... If inconsistencies you refer to are a not as dense in one area as the other ... No worries ... Them pellets get it done. Load Em up and hunt... It will do it

tha bugman

ordered a Sumtoy for the Yildiz this morning.

potter

Got to try the sumtoy 685 today, never saw a choke like it internally, see pic above.shot 1 box cleaning with solvent and cloth between shots all patterns in the 180s. Temp in the 50s.this choke really deformed wad, maybe overchoked will try to post pics of wads, top wad is from browning x full choke, bottom deformed wad from sumtoy 685. Other pic is inside of choke.sumtoy shot nitro 457 well, and rem no4swell to.maybe try again like og stated and use steelwool. How do u keep steel wool on dowel?