Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Help with scheduling Black Hills hunt

Started by mnbirdbuster, March 24, 2017, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbirdbuster

I have a couple of windows I can hunt. First is May 3-7. Snow certainly more eminent, certainly plenty of hens up and moving still, but could catch 2nd breeding peak? Second window is May 17-21(last day of season), less chance of snow, minimal if any competition from hens present, and depending on how spring goes could still catch 2nd peak i suppose? Either period should produce some birds to hunt on the 1.3mil acres of public? Any insight or past experiences would be greatly appreciated as i used to hunt the heck out of the BH, but it's been a few years and I've never hunted last week window and don't wanna go and woods are silent and breeding is totally over(i doubt it's possible as Merriam's are maniacs usually).

MK M GOBL

I have hunted that last week and you can run into some hot weather. We found out when that happens birds will get in some shade, we glassed a number of birds hanging out under pines (shade). We still had luck during that last week and really ran into hardly any "pressure" from other hunters. Been a few years since I have been out but it wouldn't hold me back from going!

Good Luck!

MK M GOBL

mnbirdbuster

Appreciate it MK. I will be going out and hunting that last 5 days of season(May 17-21). Did you notice much in the way of hens on their feet then? I'd assume most would be sitting the nests then, but there's always a chance of a few rogue hens out there screwing up the hunting that time of year?

turkeyfoot

There are still toms henned up into June there

midmslongbeard

It's been a few years but went three straight years the last week hunted Wyoming and South Dakota always tagged out birds were still responsive never saw many other hunters.