OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Leafy suit or plain camo clothing.  (Read 14306 times)

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
Leafy suit or plain camo clothing.
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
Ever since I got a leafy suit several years ago, I pretty much always wear it to hunt turkeys. Although I do not think it is necessary, I feel like it has to help a person blend in a little better. I am curious as to what others think, and do.

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
I wear an ASAT leafy top and regular bottoms. Just what I like to wear. I like the leafy top because it is cool on hot days. I have never felt like the leafy bottoms would hold up with the type of hunting I do.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »
I think it will help a little but bottom line is if the setup is good then it's all irrelevent. Now I like to blend in somewhat but I don't get to carried away  with it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
Re: Leafy suit or plain camo clothing.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »
 :camohat: A leafy suit got me a couple of toms. Each time I had hens within feet of me, and the leafy material moved in the breeze and the hens went from putting to soft yelps and drew the toms in for clean shots. Of course I had my gun on my knee before the hens came into view and had invaded my space.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
Haven't used one but I'm sure they work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
The only prob w leafy suits is many affordable ones are noisy. Least at first

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 04:06:46 PM »
Have never used one, and have had both toms & hens within a few feet of me and none the wiser. We have a lot of "Multiflora Rose" in the area I hunt (Was through the state and was supposed to be "good cover" for pheasant and rabbit and such. Is a nightmare in places would have to think it would just tear up a leafy suit, it's already hard enough on regular camo...

MK M GOBL

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »
Turkeys have excellent vision, but I think they are stupid when it comes to seeing something out of place.

I think it is movement that they key in on, and with better camo, there is less contrast to the surroundings, which makes it tougher for the birds to spot us.  I think that the best reason to wear a good camo pattern is to decrease the contrast from the surroundings making it more difficult for the birds to spot movement from us.

I think you could park and hunt out of a bright orange car, and the birds will come right in...  As long as they do not see you move inside the car.

Given a chance, I will hunt a tree with a fallen log or rock in front of it...  Gives me a spot to lay the gun on (without my knee swaying back and forth in front of an unseen bird), and also allows me to use a friction call without the bird seeing the movement from the call.

As far as camo, I try to match the surroundings as well as possible, but am not nearly as picky as I am with waterfowl hunting...  Also, I do think there is something to using non-UV brightener detergent.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline MickT

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »
I wear a leafy suit on hot days with shorts and a t shirt underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »
I wear one because it looks cool!   But the only advantage I see is in the spring there is normally a breeze.   It's easier to get away with subtle movements if your entire outline is moving.   Not scientific data, just my opinion and observations.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline rifleman

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
I don't think camo is all that important with regard to pattern.  However, the leafy top is a plus if you need to shift your gun or move slightly.  Upon moving the leaves help you to blend in and look natural.  JMO.

Offline Txag12

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 07:26:26 PM »
I use the cabelas brand 3D suit and really think it makes a difference. Look at your buddy in a field with one from 100 yds away vs in standard camo, there is a big difference

Offline Rio Fan

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
I wear a leafy jacket later in the spring. I feel at times it makes a difference, especially when I've had hens  really close to me, but that's just my opinion.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 11:12:53 PM »
I'm sure they don't hurt. I have one but rarely wear it. I killed my first turkey in blue jeans and a camo t-shirt. It was all I had back then.

A good set up and not moving will get birds well within range.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »
I do wear a leafy top from time to time but I rarely wear the pants as I opt for regular bdu pants in the blackberry briars, and goseberries.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.