OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Weatherby sa459 factory choke  (Read 9318 times)

Offline sevetts

Re: Weatherby sa459 factory choke
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:59 PM »
 :christmaswindow:
Here is a pic of my new gun! I sure hope it shoots good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
That's awesome man. Does that gun have mobile or invector threads? Put some pics up after you pattern. I bought a Carlson 650 and shot it a couple times today. I'd like to see what your sumtoy does. Philippe has some amazing patterns with longbeards and that choke for sho...

Offline sevetts

Weatherby sa459 factory choke
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
Here is mine, I put a tru glo tru brite on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline sevetts

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 10:39:30 PM »
650 carlson, fed HW 7. sighted my dot in with dove loads then moved back to 40. Moved my dot to the right a hair and put it up. I think I'm gonna call it good, I'm happy with that pattern for that shell. Just need a sling

Offline Gutsdozer

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »
Here is a pic of my new gun! I sure hope it shoots good.

Looks sweet! Mine should be here Tuesday according to FedEx. I have a Vortex Venom to mount on it.

BottomLand54

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
My gun has the win choke, browning investor threads. I have a sumtoy .650 to try in it today. GOD HAS BLESSED THIS OL BOY. I was in a bad accident 12/05/15 and wasn't able to bow hunt because it messed my shoulder and neck up. I have recovered enough to shoot bow again so going today to pickup my new Mathews halon 32/ 7 inch brace. Going to try to get my first bird with a bow this year too. But hoping to take some guys who have never killed a bird is why I want 2 guns setup this year. An older man got me hooked on this hobbie that I love and I want to pass it along!

BottomLand54

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 08:31:52 AM »
650 carlson, fed HW 7. sighted my dot in with dove loads then moved back to 40. Moved my dot to the right a hair and put it up. I think I'm gonna call it good, I'm happy with that pattern for that shell. Just need a sling

I put a claw sling on mine, fit well and seems to be the trick, only real field testing will prove that.

Offline Gutsdozer

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 09:38:36 AM »
My gun has the win choke, browning investor threads. I have a sumtoy .650 to try in it today. GOD HAS BLESSED THIS OL BOY. I was in a bad accident 12/05/15 and wasn't able to bow hunt because it messed my shoulder and neck up. I have recovered enough to shoot bow again so going today to pickup my new Mathews halon 32/ 7 inch brace. Going to try to get my first bird with a bow this year too. But hoping to take some guys who have never killed a bird is why I want 2 guns setup this year. An older man got me hooked on this hobbie that I love and I want to pass it along!

I wish they had released the 32 last year. I probably would have bought it instead of my defiant 34. Don't get me wrong the D34 is a great bow but the halons just feel a tad better all around to me. The string angle prevented me from buying one last year.  I need to get my first shotgun turkey before I even think about a bow turkey. Please keep us updated on your choke and shell combos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »

I wish they had released the 32 last year. I probably would have bought it instead of my defiant 34. Don't get me wrong the D34 is a great bow but the halons just feel a tad better all around to me. The string angle prevented me from buying one last year.  I need to get my first shotgun turkey before I even think about a bow turkey. Please keep us updated on your choke and shell combos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will bud, yeah I shot bowtech since 2010, had a bunch of em: destroyer 350, invasion, insanity, experience, assassin, prodigy, boss. After last year and all their limb problems I lives the reign 7 but couldn't bring my self to buy one. I've also had elites energy 32, and 35. Also Hoyt carbon Spyder 30, and Mathews chill r and chill x. So I shot them and I narrowed it down between the bowtech reign 7 and the halon 32 so I went Mathews better price and better limbs I hope. All the top line bows are so good that it makes it hard.

I agree get you a bird with your gun first, boy I got tore up on my first one don't think I woulda been able to draw on him lol. I still get tore up just seeing a hen or a Jake. And hey don't be ashamed to get you a Jake for your first bird it's what I killed and you woulda thought I'd shot 50 lb, 6 inch spurs, 22 inch beard world record haha. I just enjoy being outdoors praise God for the privelage.

BottomLand54

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 02:45:01 PM »
OK here's a quick shoot, wind is bad today but wanted to shoot I almost have ff3 dialed in on sa-459 this is a long beard 1 7/8 3 inch 5 shot at 20 yards. It's a tad low due to I pulled a bit low. Still getting ff3 dialed in. Just wanted Yall to see progress this is out of a .650 sumtoy

BottomLand54

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
OK guys here is at 40 yards I don't do the whole count the dots in the circle but this is an extremely dirty barrel at 40 yards with magna blend 3" 2oz 5,6,7 I like the pattern myself maybe half a click to left and half click down and she's dead center the center yellow square was where I was aiming. It's a dead turkey at 40-50

Offline Strutr

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Good looking patterns there, BottomLand!  Did you shoot any of the Longbeards at 40yds?

Offline Strutr

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
Your Weatherby patterns looks good, too, sevetts.  Do you think that the Carlson choke performed that much better than your stock choke?

BottomLand54

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:25 PM »
Your Weatherby patterns looks good, too, sevetts.  Do you think that the Carlson choke performed that much better than your stock choke?
#5 3" long beards were decent patterns at 40, same with magblends and hevi 13 6s I got to jerking my gun a bit because recoil got to me when I went to shooting a few turkey loads. Wind was horrible and shoulder got sore I got red dot close, I cleaned gun and going to do some more shooting on hopefully a calmer day ( hopefully next Saturday) also want to play with my encore a bit more) #5 Winchester double x performed the best in my opinion. And cheaper!

Offline sevetts

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 01:38:33 AM »
Yes and no. That pattern got thrown away before I really got to take a picture but it is a very good heavywieght pattern if you look at it close. It's just right some. The factory choke shot extended range 6s better than the carlson. I'm gonna put the factory choke back in and see if the 2 chokes shoot the same poi, if they do il just pick a load and choke and switch them when I feel froggy. I hope it works that way but if it dosent il take the federal 7s and the carlson. My gun has mobile threads and the factory choke is ported, I have no idea on the exit diameter.

Offline sevetts

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
Just changed back to the factory choke and an extended range 6 and it was perfect. I'm really excited I can just switch chokes and loads and they are both good to go, same impact. Pic is factory with extended after red dot has been dialed in