turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you need a vest?

Started by catman529, February 11, 2017, 10:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

I understand that,but if you poll people on here and they are honest most have some sort of vest,backpack,bag,or pouch to carry stuff...new people will figure it out like I said in some of my other posts. Hunt a few times without and in my opinion your going to be finding something to put your stuff in..My vote is YES for a vest or something to carry stuff.If I lost one call or sat on a misplaced one i could pay for a vest or 2 or 3..or if you lose your one and only call your hunt will be for something other than a turkey...

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 19, 2017, 02:06:18 PM
I understand that,but if you poll people on here and they are honest most have some sort of vest,backpack,bag,or pouch to carry stuff...new people will figure it out like I said in some of my other posts. Hunt a few times without and in my opinion your going to be finding something to put your stuff in..My vote is YES for a vest or something to carry stuff.If I lost one call or sat on a misplaced one i could pay for a vest or 2 or 3..or if you lose your one and only call your hunt will be for something other than a turkey...

Exactly!

I bought a vest to start with, and if were asked I would suggest a vest/pack or something to carry your hunting equipment. From my experience, vote would be YES as well.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Amen, great post :z-guntootsmiley:

Bowguy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 19, 2017, 03:01:12 PM
Amen, great post :z-guntootsmiley:
That is a great post

Jroddc

I vote yes for vests they are a necessary turkey hunting tool IMO.

3bailey3

I vote yes on a vest, I have to many great calls to leave leave another one out, vest has never hinder me but I have took it off a time of two for a quick move and still pack my bird out in the vest, better than carrying one out in my opinion.

jims

I imagine it's important to have a vest, pack, or pockets available to carry the tools you regularly use to hunt your particular style.  I'm a runner and gunner so cover lots of country.  I often have 1 diaphragm call in my mouth at all times and a spare in my pocket.  I hike a lot of miles/day so it's an advantage being as light and compact as possible.  If I get a tom I can strap him to my pack.  I have ample room in my daypack for quick and easy access to extra shells, camera, lunch, rain jacket, and the stuff I regularly use.  That is my style of gobbler hunting!  Someone else that sits in a blind all day may use something else!

With that said, I've never owned a vest and have excellent success using a daypack or backpack.

tha bugman

Quote from: guesswho on February 12, 2017, 11:16:42 AM
New hunter or seasoned veteran.  If you think you need a vest, then you need a vest.  A lot of this turkey hunting is mental.   The last thing you want to do is go hunting without something you think you need.   The one thing you don't want to do is reduce your confidence by leaving something you think you need, whether you really need it or not.   I personally plan on ditching the vest this year.  But I may put it back on starting the second hunt, depending on how the first hunt goes.
:z-winnersmiley:

catman529

I'm surprised how many think the vest is necessary to hunt. Definitely preferred, and necessary for certain styles of hunting. But for the bare basics of hunting turkeys, which is what a beginner should first focus on, there shouldn't be need for a whole array of calls and stuff. I still say it's unnecessary to start out with a vest, because I've got by this far without one. Im not any special hunter, I just go after the birds and try to learn from them because it's a lot of fun.

A bag is a lot different, it can be more compact and simple, and it's cheaper. I'd recommend a bag before a vest. Then when beginner starts to get the hang of turkey hunting and starts to figure out what he really wants to bring to the woods, a good vest will probably come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

Quote from: tha bugman on February 21, 2017, 02:00:56 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 12, 2017, 11:16:42 AM
New hunter or seasoned veteran.  If you think you need a vest, then you need a vest.  A lot of this turkey hunting is mental.   The last thing you want to do is go hunting without something you think you need.   The one thing you don't want to do is reduce your confidence by leaving something you think you need, whether you really need it or not.   I personally plan on ditching the vest this year.  But I may put it back on starting the second hunt, depending on how the first hunt goes.
:z-winnersmiley:
that is a great point. Confidence is a great thing to carry into the woods with you.

owlhoot

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 19, 2017, 09:24:30 PM
I vote yes on a vest, I have to many great calls to leave leave another one out, vest has never hinder me but I have took it off a time of two for a quick move and still pack my bird out in the vest, better than carrying one out in my opinion.
x2 plus a lot safer way to carry one out.

Happy

Peronally I think a call a gun and a shotgun shell is all that is NEEDED to kill a turkey. And to be honest with all the pockets on clothes today more can be carried than what is NEEDED. I really like a vest myself,  I can carry water, snacks, a first aid kit, tp, gps, and other things that help make my life easier and possibly aid in an emergency. I don't pack as many calls as most and am seeming to slim down on those as I get older. I don't like having stuff shoved in my pants pockets so a vest works well for me. Grab it and go. However it is really something that I prefere. I don't have to have it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

pogo

So many good posts on both sides.  I started this sport 29 years ago and hunted for years without a vest, but back then I wasn't carrying many turkeys out of the woods either.  Through the years it has become more common for me to have to tote a turkey out, and when hunting public land in Florida that means a minimum of 2 miles usually and up to 5 1/2 miles!  That's one of the things that I like best about a vest since I rarely get to hunt near my truck.  And I need all of the extras so I can stay late - the cushion, the water, the toilet paper, the snack etc..  I shouldn't tell this secrete - but public land birds are rarely killed before 10AM or close to the parking area! (LOL  Everyone here knows that). But I still do go light sometimes with just the minimal and no vest. So I would recommend a new person  just spending a few mornings hunting without one if they are on a smaller farm that is convenient, but if they are on public land or  large property where they can't drive - get a vest.  Or at least a backpack with straps to carry the bird out.

catman529

Quote from: pogo on February 25, 2017, 02:50:37 PM
So many good posts on both sides.  I started this sport 29 years ago and hunted for years without a vest, but back then I wasn't carrying many turkeys out of the woods either.  Through the years it has become more common for me to have to tote a turkey out, and when hunting public land in Florida that means a minimum of 2 miles usually and up to 5 1/2 miles!  That's one of the things that I like best about a vest since I rarely get to hunt near my truck.  And I need all of the extras so I can stay late - the cushion, the water, the toilet paper, the snack etc..  I shouldn't tell this secrete - but public land birds are rarely killed before 10AM or close to the parking area! (LOL  Everyone here knows that). But I still do go light sometimes with just the minimal and no vest. So I would recommend a new person  just spending a few mornings hunting without one if they are on a smaller farm that is convenient, but if they are on public land or  large property where they can't drive - get a vest.  Or at least a backpack with straps to carry the bird out.
I've carried all my birds out of public land but it's usually within a mile of the truck. I've never been to FL but 5 miles sounds like a heck of a hike. I would do it though if I ever made the trip down there. Whatever it takes to get it done.

Greg Massey

Quote from: catman529 on February 25, 2017, 09:32:57 PM

Quote from: pogo on February 25, 2017, 02:50:37 PM
I've carried all my birds out of public land but it's usually within a mile of the truck. I've never been to FL but 5 miles sounds like a heck of a hike. I would do it though if I ever made the trip down there. Whatever it takes to get it done.

If you ever hunted Mo. like i did you would be anywhere from 1- 5 miles from camp or the truck. You will want a vest to carry your stuff and bird out...