OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you need a vest?  (Read 18842 times)

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Re: Do you need a vest?
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »

So many good posts on both sides.  I started this sport 29 years ago and hunted for years without a vest, but back then I wasn't carrying many turkeys out of the woods either.  Through the years it has become more common for me to have to tote a turkey out, and when hunting public land in Florida that means a minimum of 2 miles usually and up to 5 1/2 miles!  That's one of the things that I like best about a vest since I rarely get to hunt near my truck.  And I need all of the extras so I can stay late - the cushion, the water, the toilet paper, the snack etc..  I shouldn't tell this secrete - but public land birds are rarely killed before 10AM or close to the parking area! (LOL  Everyone here knows that). But I still do go light sometimes with just the minimal and no vest. So I would recommend a new person  just spending a few mornings hunting without one if they are on a smaller farm that is convenient, but if they are on public land or  large property where they can't drive - get a vest.  Or at least a backpack with straps to carry the bird out.
I've carried all my birds out of public land but it's usually within a mile of the truck. I've never been to FL but 5 miles sounds like a heck of a hike. I would do it though if I ever made the trip down there. Whatever it takes to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  If you ever hunted Mo. like i did you would be anywhere from 1- 5 miles from camp or the truck. You will want a vest to carry your stuff and bird out...
Nah I'd carry a small backpack for food and water mostly.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2017, 11:33:52 PM »

So many good posts on both sides.  I started this sport 29 years ago and hunted for years without a vest, but back then I wasn't carrying many turkeys out of the woods either.  Through the years it has become more common for me to have to tote a turkey out, and when hunting public land in Florida that means a minimum of 2 miles usually and up to 5 1/2 miles!  That's one of the things that I like best about a vest since I rarely get to hunt near my truck.  And I need all of the extras so I can stay late - the cushion, the water, the toilet paper, the snack etc..  I shouldn't tell this secrete - but public land birds are rarely killed before 10AM or close to the parking area! (LOL  Everyone here knows that). But I still do go light sometimes with just the minimal and no vest. So I would recommend a new person  just spending a few mornings hunting without one if they are on a smaller farm that is convenient, but if they are on public land or  large property where they can't drive - get a vest.  Or at least a backpack with straps to carry the bird out.
I've carried all my birds out of public land but it's usually within a mile of the truck. I've never been to FL but 5 miles sounds like a heck of a hike. I would do it though if I ever made the trip down there. Whatever it takes to get it done.

If you ever hunted Mo. like i did you would be anywhere from 1- 5 miles from camp or the truck. You will want a vest to carry your stuff and bird out...
Good, i'm glad you will finally carry water and food. Man does get thirsty at times and hungry ..ha ha ha

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »

Good, i'm glad you will finally carry water and food. Man does get thirsty at times and hungry ..ha ha ha
Yea sometimes if I'm smart I bring water. But always TP!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2017, 01:54:24 AM »

Yea sometimes if I'm smart I bring water. But always TP!
  Amen...TP for sure

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
The one problem with a vest is that you can put to much stuff in it !  I mean if it has a pocket why not fill it right ? Its a hard lesson  to learn. Last year I hunted with a beginner on a 100 acre farm. I had a water bottle stuffed in my pocket, slate call 2 strikers,a container of mouth calls and a chew can with sandpaper . He had a vest packed with the entire turkey hunting isle from Cabelas. I do use my vest quite often,mostly on those days when I'm hunting the hills and dont expect to be back at the truck till after 1. I have learned to pack lighter taking only what I'm going to need.
Gary Bartlow

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
I guess, I am (old school) as I like a camo daypack. I have a vest- but rarely use one and they can get HEAVY! When I set-up in front of my tree- I sling my daypack behind the tree after getting my callers out. Without a vest- I can more freely move my upper body as well and sweat less . To each their own though.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »
I've come almost full circle. I do wear a vest.  I also carry what I consider adequate equipment.  A hand full of mouth calls, a box, a couple of pots and usually 3 strikers.  Facemask, gloves, owl hooter, shells, wet wipes and Thermocell.  Yeah most of this would fit in my pockets but I like having everything stowed away where I can grab my vest and go.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »

I've come almost full circle. I do wear a vest.  I also carry what I consider adequate equipment.  A hand full of mouth calls, a box, a couple of pots and usually 3 strikers.  Facemask, gloves, owl hooter, shells, wet wipes and Thermocell.  Yeah most of this would fit in my pockets but I like having everything stowed away where I can grab my vest and go.
I'll keep some Bacon in my pocket but usually only carry 2 or 3 calls with me on any given day

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
I switched over to a hip/fanny pack a few years ago and use my old turkey vest during tree squirrel season. Since I don't run and gun but rather set up for the long haul, the pack carried my calls, etc., easier than the vest. My decoys are carried in a mesh sack that came with my Pretty Boy decoy and any stakes are in a blue jean leg bag that my wife fashioned for such and it goes in the mesh sack.

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »
You don't need a vest. I have one-but rarely use it. It makes me feel constricted when sitting in front of a tree. I  really like a daypack. I have 2 of them. When I get to my tree- I get my camo- seat  out and sling that day pack behind my tree. This works for me and keeps me cooler as well. Late in the season- I switch to a fanny-pack as I will carry less stuff this late if I still have a tag.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
You do not need a vest and you can find water from a creek/stream/spring in your hunting area.  No need to carry added unnecessary weight.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
Lot of solid opinions on this post. I like a turkey vest for organization. I like it  because I can put my hands on what ever peice of equipment I need in a hurry. I pack my vest the night before with everything I may need. I don't like a pack because I have to dig for what I need, it never stays organized. My calls bang together and I can never find my strikers.

Vests can be bought cheaply off e bay or at garage sales. It does not have to be fancy.

Finally for those on a budget or not: ebay is the best place to buy most of your hunting equipment except for guns or ammo. They do sell some gun parts. There are lots of options for the beginning hunter.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
Yes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy