OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you need a vest?  (Read 18869 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Do you need a vest?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 09:14:13 PM »
I should add in the spring it rains. Pots n strikers get wet, one dew drop even renders many useless. Some guys use lighters to dry slate if that happens to be the surface but you'd still need one more striker if that was wet. Some states you must display a license on your back. Not sure about all states but again a vest is a very easy means to that. Plus in many states the bird must be taken from the woods intact. Vests have carrying pouches or pockets for turkey slings if you so need them.
Vests are not the only way but in many cases the easier fool proof way. Only imo

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »
I should add in the spring it rains. Pots n strikers get wet, one dew drop even renders many useless. Some guys use lighters to dry slate if that happens to be the surface but you'd still need one more striker if that was wet. Some states you must display a license on your back. Not sure about all states but again a vest is a very easy means to that. Plus in many states the bird must be taken from the woods intact. Vests have carrying pouches or pockets for turkey slings if you so need them.
Vests are not the only way but in many cases the easier fool proof way. Only imo
   AMEN AMEN AMEN

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
My kids use a back pack for school as most do,woman use a purse,businessmen use briefcases, workers a lunch box,etc,etc,etc all so they keep their stuff organized or don't lose anything,also to keep hands free. If your going to hunt turkeys keep this in mind. If you can trail yourself back to your vehicle get a vest,if your asking yourself where did I put that or wish I had that,buy a vest,sat on your twinkies you were going to eat when you where starving because someone told you not to buy a vest buy a vest. If you buy a vest and don't use it advertise it in the O.G. classifieds or Ebay use the money to buy new calls and accessories and then ask yourself why did I ever sell that vest..buy another vest....

Offline VanHelden Game Calls

• The Boss Gobbler
    • VanHelden Game Calls
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »
Yes,
I was a hold out for many years and have gone with hip packs, but reaching items sitting is a hassle, backpacks in convenient when your busted mid move and its strapped to your back.  I used a should bag that I liked the best except when I am belly crawling into position.

I finally went back to the vest and overall it has the most positives and least amount of negatives.

Offline DTGobble

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 06:33:48 AM »
My guess is most new hunters will end up with a vest eventually.  I hunted for several years before buying one and loved it once I did.  Problem is, I felt like I needed something to go in all those pockets LOL.  I had all kinds of stuff that I never used.  I liked the idea of having a place to put a turkey on the way out, but I filled that space up to, with decoys, stakes etc.  I have since went to a backpack with pockets on the shoulder straps and waistband, and love it.  Its a western style pack with straps and a cradle to carry my gun when I've bagged a bird, which is a big help.  I also like the water bladder, something I never really thought about.  I keep the things I use the most in the shoulder pockets or the waist pockets where I can get to them quickly.  Each to its own, but this is what works for me.  I believe you can start and be successful without a vest or a pack, but you'll get tired of your pockets bulging out eventually. One final thing, as far as seats go.  I used to get so aggravated at putting the seat back up after I was ready to move.  Whether it was velcro, magnets, or a buckle, it was a pain for me.  Letting it dangle didn't work, because it grabbed everything in the woods.  Now I just clip it to the waistband when I'm done using it and keep trucking.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
My guess is most new hunters will end up with a vest eventually.  I hunted for several years before buying one and loved it once I did.  Problem is, I felt like I needed something to go in all those pockets LOL.  I had all kinds of stuff that I never used.

^^^THIS

Don't blame the vest - blame the guy or gal that filled it up! Vests are great to organize gear in accessible locations as stated in other posts. New (all) hunters should definitely bring an extra striker or 2 (we lose things), and call conditioning supplies, etc.

I love my vest because it is my turkey hunt "go bag". When I get to the woods, everything I need is in the vest. When I get back to the truck or home, everything is still in the vest. Top off the water bottle and it's ready to go again. No pants pockets to empty, nothing forgotten.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
My guess is most new hunters will end up with a vest eventually.  I hunted for several years before buying one and loved it once I did.  Problem is, I felt like I needed something to go in all those pockets LOL.  I had all kinds of stuff that I never used.

^^^THIS

Don't blame the vest - blame the guy or gal that filled it up! Vests are great to organize gear in accessible locations as stated in other posts. New (all) hunters should definitely bring an extra striker or 2 (we lose things), and call conditioning supplies, etc.

I love my vest because it is my turkey hunt "go bag". When I get to the woods, everything I need is in the vest. When I get back to the truck or home, everything is still in the vest. Top off the water bottle and it's ready to go again. No pants pockets to empty, nothing forgotten.

I think when catman started this topic he was simply cautioning the "new" turkey hunter of buying a vest and filling it up and spending unnecessary $$ before you know what you really need. 

Most everyone came and replied here how useful and pretty much necessary a good vest/pack/bag is.  I still agree that one should make a few hunts with relatively few calls and maybe a small pack/bag before going all out and buying a vest.  Or maybe just borrow a buddy's backup/used vest till you figure things out - whats needed, whats not needed, layout, etc.

That being said, I agree with SteelerFan completely.  I don't need a checklist or have to take time packing or unpacking because everything is right there in my vest.  I like the confidence of knowing I haven't forgotten anything because everything has its designated spot.  Grab it and go.  But you could also substitute bag/pack/satchel/etc for the vest - just as long as you have an organized, dedicated carrying device for toting all your turkey supplies. 

Offline rifleman

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »
I have gone from carrying one or two calls and shells to a vest where I carried everything it could hold.  Now I have gone back to no vest (unless I decide to take a decoy and then I use a small backpack).  I carry a small pouch with a nail call, gloves, facemask and a couple shells.  My other calls are on lanyards wingbone or trumpet, and a tube call.  For me that works and to each their own.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Started out with carrying six shells, 2 mouth calls, headnet and gloves.

Shortly thereafter I got a good vest with a large gamebag. I love a good vest not so much for what I carry into the woods, but for what I carry OUT  :icon_thumright:

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 12:41:45 AM »

You never sand or chalk your calls when hunting????? Smart phones are useless if a battery dies or you're in an area w no service.
I've never owned a call that needs chalk, and when I do bring a pot call, if it needs sanding, I pick up a rock off the ground and scrape the pot call with that.

The smart phone dying is a good point. But I guess it depends where you hunt. I've never got lost on the public land I hunt. But the GPS has come in handy getting me out quicker. A compass doesn't take up much space at all, should fit in any pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »

I think when catman started this topic he was simply cautioning the "new" turkey hunter of buying a vest and filling it up and spending unnecessary $$ before you know what you really need. 
this was exactly my point. You may very well decide you want a vest after hunting a while, but when you look at the basics of turkey hunting and learning how to hunt them, a vest is nowhere near the top of the list. I learned to hunt them on my own without a vest and still don't use one today. I think it will help anyone to learn if they put more effort into the actual hunting than trying to be 100% prepared for something they aren't familiar with.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »

this was exactly my point. You may very well decide you want a vest after hunting a while, but when you look at the basics of turkey hunting and learning how to hunt them, a vest is nowhere near the top of the list. I learned to hunt them on my own without a vest and still don't use one today. I think it will help anyone to learn if they put more effort into the actual hunting than trying to be 100% prepared for something they aren't familiar with.

Well you can tell from the other post the items that were suggested are just the basic items a beginner needed for a successful day of turkey hunting. If a beginner doesn't have these items and have them organized he's just selling himself short. Why would you want to have your pockets full of stuff to have to empty out after a few days of hunting. You may want to leave work early for afternoon of turkey hunting and with a vest or bag and a camo bug suit you have all you need to hit the woods without stuff left at home. You will also need your gun and a few extra shell and a bottle of water. Having bottle of water is almost a must if your using mouth calls. What your telling a beginner is wrong in he or she can just carrying those few items in his pockets...In most all who have posted on this topic agree a bag or vest is needed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:28:34 PM by Greg Massey »

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
A small bag would be fine and much cheaper if you're starting out on a budget. I never knew a vest was considered needed so much. Never even touched one because I was too cheap and I learned to hunt on my own without one and can't think of any time I needed one.

Offline SFCSNOW

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
I prefer a back pack. My Alps fanny pack has a large hidden singular pocket than can be pulled out. Great for decoys. I'm just more comfortable with a back pack.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Of course when "teaching" others you are somewhat teaching from your own experiences and style of hunting. Hard to tell everyone "this" is how you need to do this.

I have mentored "students" for 20+ years and I always explain that they are learning what I have learned. I am not the expert on hunting in every location and situation that you could come across. I teach from my experiences, i.e. would be hard for me to tell someone how to hunt turkeys in Florida, I have never been there or hunted there.

Now there are a few general characteristics I teach about turkeys that can be applied just about anywhere...

MK M GOBL