OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you need a vest?  (Read 18875 times)

Offline BibbCoLongbeard

Re: Do you need a vest?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
The main reason i wear a vest is for lunch and water bottles. I like to go light but most of the time i hunt all day. Lunch, water, toilet paper, shells, calls, fit perfectly in a vest. Besides someone gave it to me free.  Sometimes i take it off and hode it the come back to it later if it gets too hot on me.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »
I wear a Camelbak under my vest.  I'm used to the weight of what I carry as it's light compared to a pack in the mountains. If one decides to go the vest route early, make sure you can and are willing to wear/carry the weight. It's meant to enhance your hunt and not detract. If you realize you have calls or equipment in it you are not using, take it out.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
The water is important for sure.. I guess I just don't carry much water with me. But I know people who would go through half a gallon.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 01:07:21 AM »
CatMan, I completely agree with you...

A backpack will work fine at first...  Nothing fancy or special, just a backpack that is a  neutral natural color (of camo if available).  Most backpacks have separate compartments and will suffice fine.  I used a large outdoor fanny-pack or a dove-hunting vest when I first started until I figured out what I wanted/needed...

What I would spend money on, is clothing to stay comfortable and dry...  I would make the assumption that anyone giving turkey hunting a try is also interested in other outdoor activities, and quality clothing would likely work for many other outdoor activities.

Outside of my pants and vest, most of my turkey hunting clothing was purchased for waterfowl hunting...  I do not get caught up in using the proper camouflage pattern...  Heck, dull browns and greens would probably work just fine (although I do prefer camouflage to break me up better).  But, being comfortable in the field will make for a far more pleasant experience.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 04:12:32 AM »
When it comes to how many pounds I'm going to be packing around on a hunt, I worry about the weight I can shave off my gut well before I think about how much my vest weighs. Then again it just makes sense to me to treat hunting like an athletic sport so I wanna be the guy who can pound ridges and cover country on public land.

Online Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 04:41:04 AM »
When it comes to how many pounds I'm going to be packing around on a hunt, I worry about the weight I can shave off my gut well before I think about how much my vest weighs. Then again it just makes sense to me to treat hunting like an athletic sport so I wanna be the guy who can pound ridges and cover country on public land.
X2

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
you can also get some turkey call carries that attach to a belt.. if you only have a few calls this is far cheaper and lighter

I've used a small belt carrier, backpack, vest all depends what you want to carry. if you have room you will fill it but might not need the items

less is more when you are starting as well I would say too much stuff will distract you or make you move too much.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 03:59:30 PM »
Naw need is an overused word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Triple Gobble

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »
Vests are great, but I find them to be to hot.  I use a waist pack and really enjoy it!!!! :bible:
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »
I like the old strap vest I've had for 22 years because I can reach calls while I'm walking without taking it off and the game bag makes a perfect backpack for water bottles, cushion, wings, dekes, etc.  I'll wear it til it dry rots I suppose and then I'll get another one.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
I think a vest is a good idea for a beginner. Your seat, shells, calls, license, sandpaper, strikers, compass, lunch, water, etc etc is all right in it. Grab two items, gun n vest. You'll forget nothing done this way of course provided you wear your clothes

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »
I think a vest is a good idea for a beginner. Your seat, shells, calls, license, sandpaper, strikers, compass, lunch, water, etc etc is all right in it. Grab two items, gun n vest. You'll forget nothing done this way of course provided you wear your clothes
X2  That's the other highlight of a vest it saves from having to put all your stuff away and rounding it all back up again. Saves time and possibly forgetting something.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »

I think it should be kept more simple for a beginner. With so many calls on the market, one should only have to worry about one or two. You shouldn't need sandpaper or multiple strikers if you're starting out. Sand your call when you practice, then bring the call and the striker that came with it. Compass is outdated for anyone who has a smartphone. A great way to learn what you need to bring is to forget things or not have them when you need them. Throwing a bunch of stuff into a vest will make you think you need more than you actually do.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »

I think it should be kept more simple for a beginner. With so many calls on the market, one should only have to worry about one or two. You shouldn't need sandpaper or multiple strikers if you're starting out. Sand your call when you practice, then bring the call and the striker that came with it. Compass is outdated for anyone who has a smartphone. A great way to learn what you need to bring is to forget things or not have them when you need them. Throwing a bunch of stuff into a vest will make you think you need more than you actually do.

You never sand or chalk your calls when hunting????? Smart phones are useless if a battery dies or you're in an area w no service. To each his own but 1 call, 1 striker, 1 shell, 1 butt pad, 1 license, 1 pen to fill it out, one smart phone, if you don't have one bring an outdated compass, one baggy to keep it dry if it rains, 1 bottle of water, 1 granola bar, 1 binocular, 1 pair of gloves, 1 hat, 1 mask, hmmmm sounds like you don't need much to put it in????
Guess a beginner who needs as much help remembering as possible may be handicapped without one. It's only my opinion though but a vest full or half full w 1 of everything you need n a gun is easier

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »

I think the few thinks we have listed is keeping it pretty simple for beginners. You still need a few items for turkey hunting. Lot of people use more than one call and have great success in calling birds and if your going have these items your going to need to keep your calls conditions. Beginners please don't go in the woods without a few items and don't rely on a cell phone to get you back to the truck...omg....