OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you need a vest?  (Read 18839 times)

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
Most people like to hunt with a good vest, and the ones with built in seats are pretty popular too. I have never owned one, so I won't go much more into detail about the pros/cons of a turkey vest...however, I will say that you don't need one to start out. If you need a seat or cushion to stay comfortable, they sell those separate, and cheaper. But don't worry about the vest for now. You don't want to spend too much effort and money on gear (not just the vest, but all the things you will want to put in it) when you first start hunting. If you are brand new to turkey hunting, you probably don't know for sure how much you will like it, and whether you will keep doing it. Also, a vest won't help you hunt turkeys any better if you aren't trying to actually learn to hunt. Vests and other gadgets will come along the way once you have become hopelessly addicted and start getting better at hunting, and start developing preferences for how you want to hunt. But for the beginning, you want to learn woodsmanship, learn about the turkeys, learn to call turkeys, and shoot them in the face. So I recommend keeping it as simple as possible, when you first start. Don't distract yourself from learning to hunt by trying to fill a vest with all kinds of calls and gadgets. Everything you need will fit into cargo pockets which are found on most camo pants.

Offline Naylor649

Do you need a vest?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
I personally like the best because everything is easy access. But can agree everything can fit in your pockets. If I know I'm gonna be stalking them on whatever property I decide to hunt that morning the vest will stay in the side by side. Great write up for sure!

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Do you need a vest?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »
Actually got rid of the vest a while ago, I opted out to go with a hip pack. Over the years I have narrowed down to what I actually use to kill birds, the pack fits my needs.

MK M GOBL

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »

Actually got rid of the vest a while ago, I opted out to go with a hip pack. Over the years I have narrowed down to what I actually use to kill birds, the pack fits my needs.

MK M GOBL
I use a similar pack for deer hunting but that is mainly because of the camera gear I use. While turkey hunting I carry a tripod so everything else just fits in pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »
7 mistakes a beginner can make turkey hunting. 1. Not patterning your gun 2. Not Scouting 3. Poor hunting setup 4. To much movement 5. Calling to much 6. Impatience 7. Going home to early.                                   I feel a new hunter or beginner does need a vest or bag for a few items that will help make him a better turkey hunting in carrying what you need. You will need push pin button call, slate pot, box call and a crow Call. You will need a cap, face mask, gloves, chalk, abrasive pad, knife, small flashlight, bug repellent, Toilet paper, compass if hunting public or land unknown, compact binoculars and snacks, bottle of water and rain gear if needed or just have it in your truck..Don't forget licences, gun, shells and foldable hen decoy if you want to try a decoy. You will need some kind of a cushion and i always carry a big folded black plastic garbage bag. You can use this garbage bag to protect your hunting stuff if your get caught out in the rain, you can put it on the wet ground and help keep your seat cushion dry. Just lot of usages for a garbage bag and some zip lock bags also...So get you a vest, bag or a back pack...it will just help keep you in the woods longer.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 01:21:09 AM »

7 mistakes a beginner can make turkey hunting. 1. Not patterning your gun 2. Not Scouting 3. Poor hunting setup 4. To much movement 5. Calling to much 6. Impatience 7. Going home to early.                                   I feel a new hunter or beginner does need a vest or bag for a few items that will help make him a better turkey hunting in carrying what you need. You will need push pin button call, slate pot, box call and a crow Call. You will need a cap, face mask, gloves, chalk, abrasive pad, knife, small flashlight, bug repellent, Toilet paper, compass if hunting public or land unknown, compact binoculars and snacks, bottle of water and rain gear if needed or just have it in your truck..Don't forget licences, gun, shells and foldable hen decoy if you want to try a decoy. You will need some kind of a cushion and i always carry a big folded black plastic garbage bag. You can use this garbage bag to protect your hunting stuff if your get caught out in the rain, you can put it on the wet ground and help keep your seat cushion dry. Just lot of usages for a garbage bag and some zip lock bags also...So get you a vest, bag or a back pack...it will just help keep you in the woods longer.
heck I don't carry half of that stuff. Not all of those things are needed to hunt turkey. Sure most of it helps, but everyone develops their own preference for what they want to carry. A beginner doesn't have any experience to know what they prefer to carry. But you do have a point that it's not a bad idea to have a small bag, say if you want to pack food and water for a whole day hunt. I used to carry some sort of a bag turkey hunting and then just went to cargo pockets cause I prefer less bulk to carry around...walking for miles is better with less stuff.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 01:31:39 AM »

heck I don't carry half of that stuff. Not all of those things are needed to hunt turkey. Sure most of it helps, but everyone develops their own preference for what they want to carry. A beginner doesn't have any experience to know what they prefer to carry. But you do have a point that it's not a bad idea to have a small bag, say if you want to pack food and water for a whole day hunt. I used to carry some sort of a bag turkey hunting and then just went to cargo pockets cause I prefer less bulk to carry around...walking for miles is better with less stuff.

That's what's great about this forum we can both disagree on what a new hunter needs to carry hunting... I Just think a new hunter needs more than what he can carry in his pockets walking thru the wood sounding like he has a can with rocks in his pocket... :TooFunny:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:56 AM »
I also disagree. If your new and especially hunting by yourself or even if your not it's way easier having a vest with some type of cushion built in for sitting on,also if you you want any type of decoy at all you can carry em in your vest game bag, also you have a built in place for your boxcall,pot call,water bottle,etc. This is not saying you need a high dollar vest,but to me it's a pain and also uncomfortable having your pockets filled up and hands full to boot. Just because you have a vest doesn't mean you can't hunt turkeys because it's not filled up with every gadget under the sun. You'll figure out what you need and can add or subtract from your vest as you go. I think turkey hunting is much more enjoyable having a piece of equipment that keeps your tools of the trade at your fingertips with easy access and organization, leaving your hands free for your flashlight or just grabbing on to something trying to get up that hill or crossing that creek. One other thing that has made hunting easier for me is a sling for the gun leaving my hands even more free. Again this isn't saying you can't kill a turkey without some of the things mentioned above,but to me it makes it a whole lot more enjoyable. Goodluck......
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:15:06 AM by 1iagobblergetter »

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 09:52:38 AM »
I have both a vest and a backpack (day-pack type).  Which one I use is totally dependent on where I am hunting and the conditions I expect to encounter.  If I am hunting a small property where I know I will mostly be sitting and waiting rather than running and gunning, I will wear the vest and take what I think I will need for that.  If I am hunting a larger area that I think I may be covering miles of country to find a cooperative gobbler, I will take the backpack so I can carry the stuff I may need for that.

I have found that my backpack is less cumbersome for long walks than my vest.  Of course, for each individual, that probably has something to do with the type of vest you might have and the amount of stuff you might be inclined to carry.  Understanding the type of hunting that you might need to be doing, and then catering your decision on what to carry with you and whether to take your vest, a backpack, fanny pack, or whatever, would seem to be insignificant,...but also could mean the difference in you getting to a cooperative gobbler,...or being worn out before you ever find him. 

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
Ok I guess I'm just thinking along the lines of people getting started on a budget. Which was me a few years ago. I never bought a vest or decoys, and I got the cheapest shotgun they had at Walmart. If you want to load up on everything to start hunting that is fine, I just wanted to point out that it's not necessary to drop $50 for a vest to carry more stuff than you need. They make seat cushions for $5 that buckle around your waist and small cheap packs if you need that too. The most cumbersome thing for me to carry is the camera and tripod, and obviously that's not even a turkey hunting item so if I didn't film, I could pack almost as light as I do when I squirrel hunt. I've never considered cargo pockets to be a burden, but a vest full of stuff just sounds hot and sweaty for the 2nd half of season. That's just me though.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
New hunter or seasoned veteran.  If you think you need a vest, then you need a vest.  A lot of this turkey hunting is mental.   The last thing you want to do is go hunting without something you think you need.   The one thing you don't want to do is reduce your confidence by leaving something you think you need, whether you really need it or not.   I personally plan on ditching the vest this year.  But I may put it back on starting the second hunt, depending on how the first hunt goes.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »
Ok I guess I'm just thinking along the lines of people getting started on a budget. Which was me a few years ago. I never bought a vest or decoys, and I got the cheapest shotgun they had at Walmart. If you want to load up on everything to start hunting that is fine, I just wanted to point out that it's not necessary to drop $50 for a vest to carry more stuff than you need. They make seat cushions for $5 that buckle around your waist and small cheap packs if you need that too. The most cumbersome thing for me to carry is the camera and tripod, and obviously that's not even a turkey hunting item so if I didn't film, I could pack almost as light as I do when I squirrel hunt. I've never considered cargo pockets to be a burden, but a vest full of stuff just sounds hot and sweaty for the 2nd half of season. That's just me though.
 You can still hunt on a budget and find things you need for turkey hunting, you can go to yard sales, Ebay and Goodwill, i get a lot of good stuff at a budget price form these places. Camo, calls, bags and back packs...You just have to be a smart shopper...I've seen vest sale on Ebay for less than 20 dollars. You need equipment that will hold up during your day of turkey hunting without having to worry about it causing you problems with staying up or falling down...One thing i do spend a little more money on that's over looked sometimes is good socks and boots. Keeping your feet in good shape on those long walks sure makes for a better day of hunting..

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
My thoughts are a vest is a pretty useful tool.  All of your stuff is consolidated and packed, so you just throw your vest on and hit the woods and you should have everything you need. 

Of course many of us probably started chasing gobblers before there were turkey vests. I killed many birds before I knew there was such a thing. We all evolve as we gain experience. Sure I've went to the woods back then without a head net or something because I forgot it. Now I keep two in my vest just to be safe.

As stated above vests don't have to be anything elaborate. Heck I've given away a few just because I was upgrading. Deals can be found. If I were just starting out, I would have one knowing what I know and experiences without one.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »

You can still hunt on a budget and find things you need for turkey hunting, you can go to yard sales, Ebay and Goodwill, i get a lot of good stuff at a budget price form these places. Camo, calls, bags and back packs...You just have to be a smart shopper...I've seen vest sale on Ebay for less than 20 dollars. You need equipment that will hold up during your day of turkey hunting without having to worry about it causing you problems with staying up or falling down...One thing i do spend a little more money on that's over looked sometimes is good socks and boots. Keeping your feet in good shape on those long walks sure makes for a better day of hunting..

I agree on boots, you can get by with cheap ones but you'll be buying another pair soon. It's worth having good footwear almost as much as carrying a turkey call or shotgun. Lol. But then I have also hunted wearing Crocs flip flops, so it depends on the day.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Do you need a vest?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »

My thoughts are a vest is a pretty useful tool.  All of your stuff is consolidated and packed, so you just throw your vest on and hit the woods and you should have everything you need. 

Of course many of us probably started chasing gobblers before there were turkey vests. I killed many birds before I knew there was such a thing. We all evolve as we gain experience. Sure I've went to the woods back then without a head net or something because I forgot it. Now I keep two in my vest just to be safe.

As stated above vests don't have to be anything elaborate. Heck I've given away a few just because I was upgrading. Deals can be found. If I were just starting out, I would have one knowing what I know and experiences without one.
that's part of my point, you may find out you need or really want a vest once you've been hunting a little while. However for just starting out, I don't think it's necessary, unless you really need a lot of stuff to stay comfortable in the woods. As for actually hunting and killing turkeys, you really don't need that much stuff, especially if you're just trying to learn about the birds. I can't think of any time I wish I had a vest, even starting out. I have carried a pack before, and sometimes a seat cushion, but even ditched those after a while. I can't say I ever needed the pack, I don't even remember what I carried in it.

Now when I get older and it's harder to stay comfy in the woods, I might end up with one of those kickstand vests. Hope that is later rather than sooner. Lol