OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Xbow hunters  (Read 7863 times)

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Xbow hunters
« on: February 11, 2017, 03:54:14 PM »
How many do we have on OG? Looking forward to taking my 10pt fx4 out this year. Keep going back an fourth between hypo's an shwackers. Gonna be in a blind with my dsd's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Xbow hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:04:26 PM »
I have an Excalibur Vortex and yet to get a turkey with it. I will give it a shot someday. Good luck.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Xbow hunters
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
Here's our "pod" set-up, made a couple of spike pieces that mount to the bottom plate of the TreePod and allows us to just step it into the ground. Gives better "swing" with this and is super solid. We have used it for the kids in the blind and is awesome.

MK M GOBL

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »
I've shot a couple with my excal micro.....I use it when I get frustrated using the vertical bow.

I perfer the wasp Jak hammers.....something about 3 blades vs. 2 ...makes me feel a little more confident.

I use the same Brodhead Wethersfield I'm shooting them with the compound or the xbow...

DSD decoys will definitely help!!

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Xbow hunters
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 10:20:28 PM »
I got my first crossbow gobbler last year using the same rage X broadheads I use for deer. It was awesome. I'll prob take it a few times again this year but I just set up like I do with a gun, I don't care much for using blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline terp

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
I agree,  I shot my first bird with an x-bow.  Best thing about it is you don't need a blind

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »
I got a ten point gt turbo last year for deer hunting, killed three with it and I am so wanting to use it on a turkey hunt this coming year, can someone tell me the best spots to aim?

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
Got a ten point that's an awesome option for gobblers or deer.

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
Will be hunting w my Excal Grizzly matrix this fall with slick trick 150s .   Have taken 2 bucks but no birds yet.   Hope to change that this fall. 

3bailey3 I am curious about the same.  I've seen some video of thigh joint shots taking em out, and wing joint shots, taking out vitals.  I need to sharpen up on turkey arrow placement our season opens in Oct.  Appreciate hearing from the more experienced on here.
Followed by buzzards

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 07:14:51 AM »
Any broad head put in the vitals will work. Actually a field point would but when a buddy accidentally did so more or less (his rage never opened leaving a field point hole) the trail was tougher and longer. Being birds can fly it's best it's quick.

Offline Jwall

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
I have excal micro I bought for this very reason. I still haven't killed a bird with it though. I am using the excal broadheads but have been wondering about using the guillotine my only concern is clearing the stirrup.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
I have excal micro I bought for this very reason. I still haven't killed a bird with it though. I am using the excal broadheads but have been wondering about using the guillotine my only concern is clearing the stirrup.
Maybe look at bull head?

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »
I got a ten point gt turbo last year for deer hunting, killed three with it and I am so wanting to use it on a turkey hunt this coming year, can someone tell me the best spots to aim?
Go to YouTube and search for videos, some really good ones.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
Because of surgery on my neck in December, I'm not able to shoot a shotgun until maybe June, so I'll be using my 10 Point. Couldn't use my Hoyt for deer season last year and was able to put 3 deer in the freezer with the crossbow. True is I would much rather use my Hoyt, but I will hunt with what ever I need to just to get out.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 05:57:20 PM »
I shoot an old Parker. Had this thing for 15 years. Can't count the number of deer I've killed with it. Would be happy to shoot a tom but only hens have come by. I no longer shoot hens and haven't for a decade or more. Hunting strickly with any bow is certainly taking it to the next level. I might save my last tag for a gobbler this Spring if the hunting Gods permit.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.