OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Red dot sights and durability.  (Read 3886 times)

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
Red dot sights and durability.
« on: February 11, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
How durable are the red dot sights? One thing that gets on my nerves about scopes is that I always have to make sure they don't get bumped. That is what I like about my shotgun, not having to worry about it getting bumped (rifle sights).

I am assuming that the more you pay for a scope, the more durable it is?

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
Re: Red dot sights and durability.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:23:33 AM »
If yer looking for a bullet proof red dot, go Aimpoint. Other than that, I've had mixed results. I've been relying more on simplicity lately and like you, have opted for rifle sights. Mine are fiber optic.  :z-twocents:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
I agree with the above in that aimpoint is probably number one with Trijicon being number two after that it's hit or miss. As far as scopes go if it's a well made scope ( Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, Razor HD, March, Swarovski) with a quality mount and rings you would just about have to use it as a hammer to knock it off.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:58:21 AM by USMC0331 »

Offline Strutr

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
IMHO, the larger the profile of the optic, the more likely it's going to get bumped at some point.  That doesn't necessarily mean damage or change of impact but it could happen.  Like many on the forum, I chose to put a low profile reflex sight on my gun (see Sightmark Minishot, Vortex Venom, Burris Fastfire style red dot).  My rational for this small sight is that it is of minimal size so perhaps slightly less likely to get whacked on something.  I also like the large unobstructed field of view it affords.  An advantage of reflex sights over a scope is that wherever that dot points is where the shot is going to go, regardless of whether you have a good cheek weld on your stock.   

I was gifted an inexpensive (~$65) Sightmark Minishot and it has been on my 12ga TC Encore turkey gun going on three years now.  It has held up to an exclusive diet of heavy loads, 3" - 2oz turkey loads and 2.75" rifled slugs for deer.  3" moa dot with two brightness settings, weighs 2.4oz, and has a lifetime warranty.  It has performed just fine so far.  I am reasonably careful with all my firearms, optic equipped or not.

There are lots of red dots to choose from and something available for most any price point.  If you're still concerned about damaging optics, fiber optic sights are probably the next best thing.  Good luck with your search. 

Offline beagler

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
I have two Aimpoint 9000sc red dot scopes. They are pretty much indestructible, not to mention a 50,000hr battery life.
Never Misses

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »
Good scopes can take a bump, I'd assume red dots are the same.

Proper barrel break in doesn't seem to bump this scope off:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »
I just finished my 5th season using a Truglo Tru Brite on my 870 Express.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:45:20 AM »
I have been using an Aimpoint 9000SC and so far it's been perfect in every way. But I am always trying to "baby" it in the woods and that gets old after a while. I sometimes miss the bead sight because it was so much easier.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"