OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What bird to hunt in crowded areas  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
What bird to hunt in crowded areas
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
I've learned the hard....hard way to select a hunting area(s) in areas that are going to have a likelyhood of hunter interference

Sometimes when season is upon me and I have located several gobblers , I ponder on what bird to try and hunt the following morning ...there is of course the "low hanging fruit " gobblers that are real close to roads or trails in popular areas......I avoid these like the plague the likely hood of being walked up on , or competing in a ridiculous calling contest with a rookie is assured

All to often I come back to camp to hear the stories of UPSET guys telling me that they had a gobbler working towards them , and something went real bad ....turkey hunting is supposed to be a enjoyable experience. ...hunting where there's other people will ruin that  , when I was new to turkey hunting i.many times fell for the bait of a gobbler that other folks are hunting at the same time

I've learned to simply walk or ride a mountain bike for miles and enjoy a tranquil morning we just me and a gobbler

Let me know what you guys do
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: What bird to hunt in crowded areas
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
Very good post. The only time I hunt nearer easy access is during the youth hunts. Those days most guys aren't out n the ones who do go for real easy pickings. One day years ago I had some birds located. It's was opening morn of youth day. Had my 2 girls. Walking in a truck pulled up n asked where I was going?
I told him across the street. He asked where? I said to him across the street had birds in one area n was smallish. Mentioned to him I didn't wanna have a calling contest n that if he was intent on going there we'd leave. Also mentioned I'd not be having this conversation w him. If he was there first I'd have kept going.
He said he didn't know where else to go. I told him where I was going if he picked here. Either spot was equally good n he could use other place as he knew where it was.
I don't know where he went but he left. One of my daughters killed a bird that day so I was thankful he did leave but if it wasn't that day n there woulda been competition for the birds/areas I'd have not even considered it.
Normally a simple climb, crossing some water or a decent walk in is all it takes.
Last year I had my Godson. He was 10.
We just walked into a public area pretty far in. I've killed lots of birds there. A friend of mine pulled in w his gf asked where I was headed. We exchanged good lucks n parted ways. We killed that day too. Closer to the parking area guys were complaining bout lack of birds n no gobbling.
We had a great day n my brother n his son almost doubled. Great moment n all from just walking a bit.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
I think about all a person is ever going to do is minimize having someone mess you up while hunting at least in my area. I hunt private ground some with sole permission(family owns)and have had several times been working birds and had trespassing hunters intercept birds and shoot them out from under me. A few times also (legal but didnt make me happy)while hunting close enough to neighboring property and calling them across on to my side(wasn't deliberately ) I've also had guys intercept and shoot birds I was working. I hunted one property with a friend who had permission from a relative and had a bird gobbling early in the morning on its way in and had a guy pull in the drive by my pickup and shoot his gun just to mess us up. Come to find out it was a friend of my friend who he once took hunting at that spot and claimed it since my friend hadn't had a chance to hunt it. He didn't recognize the truck and just figured it was outta towners. Wow...I was just happy my truck wasn't shot....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:36:35 AM by 1iagobblergetter »

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
I like to walk. The steep public land I hunt makes it pretty easy to get some separation. Just about every hunter I meet is severely overweight so I know they ain't going far even downhill. Matter of fact most don't make it more than a half mile or so from where they park. They funny thing is they like get to their parking spot at 3:00 am and claim it. I get some good chuckles watching the fellows sitting in the parking lot and glaring at each other through the windshield.  I just drive up the road a half mile or so and get started on my trek in. Apparently they think you can only walk into the woods on dnr access roads. :) By the time they get out of their trucks to race each other to "their" spots I am a mile or more back in. Half of public land hunting is doing what the majority is too lazy to do and the other half is fooling a tom. Maybe I am crazy but I enjoy both parts.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:35:12 AM »
I usually do pretty good staying away from the crowd but sometimes, some places I just have competition all around. One of my favorite places in the world to turkey hunt it's very common to have company due to the relatively small acreage and lots of gravel roads to walk. Yet I still have had some of my most memorable hunts involving other people nearby or even shooting one of the birds before I got my chance. You got to have the right attitude to hunt public land otherwise you'll come home pissed off because things didn't go the way you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »
For me it means biking in at least 1 1/2 miles to some beautiful open hardwoods leading in to a swamp. But even here, I run into other Spring turkey hunters. Spring turkey hunting is getting more popular each Spring--which is good. Staying away from fields is the tough part as like most everyone here---I love fields. This is where everyone  goes though.  A light rain though and I am there!
    Same thing with walking-- at least 1 mile in or more.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
This is only my opinion but I've noticed this over a long time. Anyone can get a bike n ride in. You'd never be the only one capable of doing so.
 It's a simple process n as turkey hunters we're not carrying a lot. Not to dismiss anyone's post but people often overestimate distance too.
Going on foot at least a 1-4-1/2 mile in w no other access n you'll leave most guys far behind. Use a pedometer to check distance, bet most would be surprised at how far that is in for most.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:15:13 PM by Bowguy »

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »
In crowded areas, I call quiet, and not very often.
I'm looking for the silent bird that slips in without much noise.
Much like deer hunting.
But, that takes all the fun out of it, so I try and avoid the crowds.
But if that was my only choice, that's how I would do it.
 :OGani:

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »

This is only my opinion but I've noticed this over a long time. Anyone can get a bike n ride in. You'd never be the only one capable of doing so.
 It's a simple process n as turkey hunters we're not carrying a lot. Not to dismiss anyone's post but people often overestimate distance too.
Going on foot at least a 1-4-1/2 mile in w no other access n you'll leave most guys far behind. Use a pedometer to check distance, bet most would be surprised at how far that is in for most.
I've measured on google earth and one popular field for both deer and turkey hunters is one mile from the road, on a wide open trail. It's an easy walk and many people go that far. But a mile thru cedars with no trail would seem like forever.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »

I've measured on google earth and one popular field for both deer and turkey hunters is one mile from the road, on a wide open trail. It's an easy walk and many people go that far. But a mile thru cedars with no trail would seem like forever.

My post was by no means referring to anyone on here. The forum is nationwide n includes some pretty dedicated n respectful hunters, these kind of folks would give you and your bird plenty of room. I guess also it depends on where you're located. Where I live there's lots of hunters n most go for the easy to see/find birds. Walking a fairly short distance you can out do them. I have a spot or two that's also bout a mile in, that was on a pedometer. Used to be able to drive in n now 1/2 way the dirt road is closed. Not many go there.
The idea is putting some distance between you and the guy that might not treat us like we'd treat him. I just don't think a mile on a bike is that far. If it's possible everyone might try it n you'll still have company

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
Sometimes I like to bike in and sometimes I will walk. Depends on if I have to work that day. My fav spot to hunt in New York is a full 2 mile walk.  I love to walk and today have walked 2 miles to keep in shape. Of course, I  work everything out on a map or maps as far as distance and other things.  This works for this public land turkey hunter..

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:15:41 PM »
In my experience in listening to gobblers on the roost, they often sound off in a similar pattern with one starting and the others then joining in with their gobbles. If they are roosted in different spots, I've found that the first one to gobble is more difficult to call in than the others, probably because he is the boss and already has hens which will lead him away from my yelps because they see me as competition for his attention. Based on my experience, I'll usually move toward the secondary gobbles since these birds, if they follow the boss gobbler and hens, won't see much action because of the dominance/peck order. These toms are more likely to break off from the group and head my way. My strategy changes, however, in the late season when few hens are still interested in breeding resulting in the boss gobbler being more responsive to any hen replies that he gets to his gobbling. I'll set up on the first bird to gobble in this situation. One of my biggest gobblers was taken during the Southern Illinois 5th and last season using this approach.