OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Turkey Guns

Started by Meaghan009, February 10, 2017, 06:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman11

I think after a couple of set ups you'll realize you have a very good gun.  Can't beat a Remington 870 for durability.  Find yourself a choke that works well with your gun and you'll be knockin em down.  Don't be afraid to rest it on your knee until the moment of truth.  After you've worked a few birds you'll figure out when and how to shift your weight or gun when needs be.  Good luck!

Rzrbac

X2 on the Remington.

My son's middle name is Remington!! I'm just a little fond of them!

Marc

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 11, 2017, 10:57:59 AM
Try taking off the recoil pad and sitting down in your house to see how the shorter pull  feels , this would let you know if the shift of a inch or two of pull length will shift the gun ballance back more , resulting in a more comfortable ballance

I'm not a guru on shotgun fit but most remingtons are one size fits all for you average man , aka 5 foot 10 inch tall with all 14 inch plus pull

Especially for wing-shooting (or clay shooting) gun fit can make a huge difference in:
   *Recoil
   *shooting accuracy
   *perceived weight of the gun.

I had 1.5" cut off my wife's junior 20 ga., and she noticed a huge difference with comfort and success while shooting.  A bit too short is a lot better than a bit too long as far as stock length.  And it is far easier to cut a wooden stock than those hollow plastic ones.

As far as holding the gun up...  Most of us rest the gun on our knee while turkey hunting, but I prefer to find a tree with a fallen log or rock in front that I can rest the gun on if I think I will be sitting a long time.

As far as shooting sticks, I found one of these easier to carry, and change position on if necessary:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Shooting-Optics-Monopod/720921.uts?productVariantId=1716155&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02884157&rid=20&gclid=CLndxqCojNICFdRyfgodAp4HQw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do not carry it any more, cause basically I am too lazy to carry anything I do not need to.

Also, while sitting (if you are right-handed), position yourself so that the bird will be on your left when it comes in (or where you think it will come in)...  A right-handed shooter cannot swing or point a gun well to the right...  If I set up decoys, I always set them up to my left side.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hookedspur

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 10, 2017, 08:53:45 PM
If boyfriend's gun feels lighter, and fits you better - just tell him "thank you" and switch! Lol

This and tell him he got the better end of the deal...and he better like it !
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Cut N Run

I have been using a padded gun rest made by H.S. Strut for about 12 -13 years that I really like.    http://www.hunterspec.com/product/gun-rest   It takes the weight off my arm, helps hold the gun steady, and allows me to run calls without waving the gun all around.  The gun rest is less than ideal if you do a lot of running & gunning, but if you're going to be in the same area for a while, they're hard to beat.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

greencop01

:welcomeOG:  You own one of the best guns going Remington 870 12,000,000 sold since 1950. Twenty ga ain't bad either. With a twenty you got to call him in close, inside of forty yards. But that is the essence of turkey hunting, call him in close. You call one in close, him gobbling off and on all the way in...thinking he took off on the way till he gobbles closer than the last gobble...and if you stare down the rattle, well there almost isn't anything else like it in the world. Good luck and BE PATIENT. Welcome to the 'Tenth Legion' ! :wagon:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

tha bugman

Quote from: Gumby on February 10, 2017, 08:32:53 PM
You will be perfectly fine. Don't overthink it! Go have fun!
+1  I personally like the shorter barrel but thats just personal preference...doesn't mean it patterns any better or handles any differently
IMO