OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best Turkey Guns  (Read 9542 times)

Offline Meaghan009

Best Turkey Guns
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
So I already have one gun, a Remington 870 20ga with a 26in barrel.. And I love this gun. But I'm worried it may be a little heavy for sitting out in the woods for extended periods of time without a blind.

Would it be worth it to just buy the same gun in synthetic with an 18in barrel or are there any other guns recommended as an alternative/compliment to what I already have?

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Best Turkey Guns
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
Personally I think it fine. Your not going to save too much weight with a slightly shorter barrel.  If I am sitting for a decent amount of time I just lay it across my lap and over a knee. Not to hard to bring into action from that position.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Best Turkey Guns
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
Are you a first time turkey hunter?  If the gun has a tube barrel, i would first decide on what kind of turkey loads i'm wanting to hunt with and decide on a good turkey choke. If your a first time hunter, i would spend my money on a couple good custom calls and use the gun you have with good shells.

Offline Meaghan009

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
Yes I am, my boyfriend has an 870 express 20ga with an 18in barrel and it's synthetic.. And comparing the two side by side in weight is a big difference. He also has a pistol grip and an adjustable stock (I just ordered one for myself), so maybe that's making some of the difference.

I'm just paranoid that a bird will sneak up on me while I have the gun rested and get busted trying to adjust my position.. I've heard you basically have to be in position from the point the bird starts making his way.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
Are you a first time turkey hunter?  If the gun has a tube barrel, i would first decide on what kind of turkey loads i'm wanting to hunt with and decide on a good turkey choke. If your a first time hunter, i would spend my money on a couple good custom calls and use the gun you have with good shells.
x2 You have to make the barrel length decision probably for yourself,but you have a great gun in the 870 20g. Pair it up with a sumtoy or primos tightwad choke and some fed Heavyweight 7s or H-13 7s and you have a great combo. Lots of info in the turkey gun and 20 gauge threads.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:53:38 PM by 1iagobblergetter »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »
Welcome to OG. Your gun is fine. If it's heavy you may be small? My daughter is 13 now n has a prob w weight. Some guns are lighter than others but bear in mind they'll kick more. It may be a compromise.
Bear in mind felt recoil is determined by many things, stance, non existent mostly in the turkey woods, drop of comb or cheek piece on the firearm, type of ammo and the weight of the gun. Realize too that most people don't feel a gun go off in the excitement of a bird coming in.
Gotta weigh it all out. Keep your shoulder pointed towards the bird when he's off a ways. Practice moving to reposition( make sure gun is unloaded),
Oftentimes you'll get away w one slight motion before they bust as in bringing a gun up. Not always n it's very dependent on how they come in n the type calls you're using. For instance if you're using a gobbler fight they seem dumber or more tolerant.
Jakes are much more tolerant of a slight movement but it shouldn't be when they aren't in range but in sight that you ever move. Hope that made sense

Offline Meaghan009

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
Thanks for your responses! I appreciate your input!!

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
Best Turkey Guns
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
You will be perfectly fine. Don't overthink it! Go have fun!

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:53:45 PM »
If boyfriend's gun feels lighter, and fits you better - just tell him "thank you" and switch! Lol

Offline Meaghan009

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
Haha I wish I could!

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 09:51:12 PM »
If the gun is heavy feeling. Just wait until you are holding it up to track and fire on a turkey. Your arms will feel like lead and the shakes and pain can become unbearable. Get a pair of shooting sticks. They are very easy to adjust and will take the weight of the gun. Good luck!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »
Shooting stick has helped me a bunch. I shattered my left arm (rh shooter) several years ago. Without too many details, I just don't have full use of it and it's a lot weaker than it was. I bought a small telescoping shooting stick and it makes me shoot like I did prior to my injury.  It makes it so much easier holding up even a light shotgun when that gobbler is in sight but still has to close another 10 or 15 yards.

Online Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
Try taking off the recoil pad and sitting down in your house to see how the shorter pull  feels , this would let you know if the shift of a inch or two of pull length will shift the gun ballance back more , resulting in a more comfortable ballance

I'm not a guru on shotgun fit but most remingtons are one size fits all for you average man , aka 5 foot 10 inch tall with all 14 inch plus pull

I have a 12 pound remington  sp10 10gauge shotgun and I "bobbed " the stock to a 13.5 inch trigger pull length it shifts the weight back squarely between my hands

I'm 5 foot 7 , 155 lbs , I used to shoot the same gun 2 decades ago when I was 125 lbs

If it's determined that the shorter pull is right for YOU you can see about cutting down the stock , or use a adjustable a-r type pistol grip , that's likely a better option

Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »
So I already have one gun, a Remington 870 20ga with a 26in barrel.. And I love this gun. But I'm worried it may be a little heavy for sitting out in the woods for extended periods of time without a blind.

Would it be worth it to just buy the same gun in synthetic with an 18in barrel or are there any other guns recommended as an alternative/compliment to what I already have?
Just a thought but Sumtoy on here likes to cut barrels down , you can have it threaded for chokes and he has some highly rated chokes. You maybe set . Good luck with your new addiction  :welcomeOG:

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 10:14:58 PM »
I've carried my 28" NEF Pardner pump action 12 gauge metal brick around for 6 years and only this year I will finally have a sling for it. If you have a sling that will make a lot of difference. I would like to eventually get an 870 and the ones I've held were a lot lighter than the gun I have now