OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pattern pic  (Read 3122 times)

Offline rubachub

Pattern pic
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »
I am new to turkey hunting and I am trying to find a good turkey load. I have a Remington 870, 24" barrel and using a Hevi 13 choke tube. I have patterned LB 3.5" #5 and Hevi shot magblend 3.5" with decent patterns. Today I shot some LB 3" #6 and Hevi 13 3" #7. I got decent results again but nothing like I see on the forums. Currently, I am shooting every pattern at 50 yards. The range is an indoor facility and the shortest distance, on the rifle range, is 50 yards. Can anyone guesstimate what these patterns would look like at 40 yards? I know its just a guess but.... I will pattern at different distances when the weather gets nicer.

ps. sorry about the side ways pics. My first time posting on this website. Great site to learn about turkey hunting.

in order from first to last.

Hevi Shot 13 3" #7 @ 50 yds
Win LB 3" #6 @ 50 yds

shots from 25 & 50 yds. (white paper)
3.5" magblend
3.5" #5 Win LB

BottomLand54

Re: Pattern pic
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
50 yards you have dead turkeys, good shooting. However look at your 25 yard patterns they look right and blowing some chunks out of paper. I say your birds are going to be dead. There is so many options as far as chokes go and store bought loads. I do not ever plan on shooting a turkey at 50 yards personally and every bird I have shot has been 20 and in, I like to talk to the birds and hear them talk back. I am a bow hunter I don't shoot at deer at 50 yards either I like to be as close as possible. Others will give you better advice I say your doing good now you just need some birds to shoot at!

Offline rubachub

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:36:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply bottomland 54. I hope I will get lucky this year! I have killed a turkey with my bow but out of a trrr stand. I am looking forward to calling them in closer

BottomLand54

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:38:47 AM »
To me it's not a turkey hunt unless you are ground level with a 4 yr old bird staring at you 12 yards away in full strut. I am going to try to take a bird with a bow this year may try ground blind method first. Hope you have a very blessed season.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »
You have a 40 yard gun.  Now I would clean the barrel to get all the oil and junk out of it.  Then test fire one.    Now that said a gun shoots TOTAL DIFFERENT indoors v/s outdoors.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
Hunt with it my brother!!!!!!