OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Patterning question  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Yelp

Patterning question
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
I've read on this site where it was suggested that the best way to pattern is to put a dot to aim at and shoot.  Then find the best part of your pattern and put a 10" circle around it. I'm not really comprehending the statement,  and looking for a Lil clarification. If the best part of your pattern is off of the turkey what difference does it make? Are u guys countering that with an adjustable sight or am I reading this wrong?

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Patterning question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:06:20 AM »
Correct. Some guns poa/poi are off..I've found with my Benellis with now having a collection of chokes and going through a bunch of different shells that mine would change with different combos. I finally found a combination I was happy with,but some of the other combos gave me better numbers. I just didn't want to put optics on and had a good enough pattern to do what I wanted it to do. With optics you can move your pattern of course where you need it without all the headache and money I went through. Benellis seem to be known for poa/poi issues.

Offline Yelp

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
10-4, thanks

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:54:29 AM »
The point is to shoot at a big enough piece of paper to see your entire pattern....I shoot at the center of a blank piece of 4'x4' paper with whichever combo (shell&choke) I'm testing ,then I draw a 10" circle around the densest portion of the pattern,then adjust my sights accordingly. More times than not adjustable sights have to be added....I myself use a Burris Fast Fire 3 so this is how I compensate for windage and elevation.  This is just a "in a nutshell" description of why we pattern like we do. Whatever the case,make ABSOLUTELY sure you shoot at a piece of paper big enough to show your entire pattern. Too many times folks shoot at notebook sized targets and think their shell/choke combo is not good,when in fact it may be a great pattern they just can't see it because it's simply not on the target. Hope this helped,feel free to reach out anytime!!!!!