turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patterning question

Started by Yelp, February 06, 2017, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yelp

I've read on this site where it was suggested that the best way to pattern is to put a dot to aim at and shoot.  Then find the best part of your pattern and put a 10" circle around it. I'm not really comprehending the statement,  and looking for a Lil clarification. If the best part of your pattern is off of the turkey what difference does it make? Are u guys countering that with an adjustable sight or am I reading this wrong?

1iagobblergetter

Correct. Some guns poa/poi are off..I've found with my Benellis with now having a collection of chokes and going through a bunch of different shells that mine would change with different combos. I finally found a combination I was happy with,but some of the other combos gave me better numbers. I just didn't want to put optics on and had a good enough pattern to do what I wanted it to do. With optics you can move your pattern of course where you need it without all the headache and money I went through. Benellis seem to be known for poa/poi issues.

Yelp

BINK McCARTY

The point is to shoot at a big enough piece of paper to see your entire pattern....I shoot at the center of a blank piece of 4'x4' paper with whichever combo (shell&choke) I'm testing ,then I draw a 10" circle around the densest portion of the pattern,then adjust my sights accordingly. More times than not adjustable sights have to be added....I myself use a Burris Fast Fire 3 so this is how I compensate for windage and elevation.  This is just a "in a nutshell" description of why we pattern like we do. Whatever the case,make ABSOLUTELY sure you shoot at a piece of paper big enough to show your entire pattern. Too many times folks shoot at notebook sized targets and think their shell/choke combo is not good,when in fact it may be a great pattern they just can't see it because it's simply not on the target. Hope this helped,feel free to reach out anytime!!!!!