turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling too much

Started by Old Gobbler, February 06, 2017, 12:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Gobblenut you're right. I'm hunting public and it's almost all timber with some of it fairly thick. It's southern Missouri so most of the time it has greened up quite a bit. Several years ago we had a late frost and really opened up the timber.  To pull off that tactic a guy would have to back off quite a bit. Another thing about that tactic is having a good idea the time birds have been flying down. I usually make note of that every morning. Timing on that tactic is important. It's worth noting those darn birds don't always keep to my schedule ;)

Marc

Quote from: THattaway on February 07, 2017, 01:48:08 PM
Odds are, if he responds well he will eventually come in. The timing may just not adhere to your schedule. Over calling, as in you are doing all the talking, probably tends to convince toms that you are coming to them more so than it does to "scare them off".
Another issue calling causes is to make hens come in and steal that Tom away...

Saw a bachelor tom last year, and had him coming right to me (later in the morning after most hens were likely on the nest)...  Every time he disappeared behind a knoll or tree, I called at him, which fired him up...  About 100 yards away, and here comes a hen, and takes him off in the opposite direction.

Sometimes, you can irritate a dominant hen into coming in to fight, but it seems that more often, it causes them to head off a tom and take them in a different direction than you...  You could be sitting in a spot that those birds would have eventually come, but your calling makes a hen (or hens) pull  that tom off in a different direction to avoid further competition...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mtns2hunt

I find the idea of irritating the boss hen into leading the Gobbler to the hunter a bit strange. I tried this a couple of times and it never worked. I must have been doing something wrong.

But to me it seems counter productive to make all that racket rather than come back a few hours later when the hens have probably left the gobbler anyway. Maybe on the last day of the season it would make sense if you still had an unfilled tag.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Marc

Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 15, 2017, 12:17:24 AM
I find the idea of irritating the boss hen into leading the Gobbler to the hunter a bit strange. I tried this a couple of times and it never worked. I must have been doing something wrong.

But to me it seems counter productive to make all that racket rather than come back a few hours later when the hens have probably left the gobbler anyway. Maybe on the last day of the season it would make sense if you still had an unfilled tag.
It usually does not work.

I think most of us would be hard-pressed to name a tactic that worked most of the time it was used...  If such a tactic were published, there would be far fewer turkeys at the end of the season.

I have had no other tactics work to pull in a tom with hens...

It does not work all that often, but then again, I have had no success in pulling in toms with hens using any other tactics or methods...  Irritate that dominant hen into coming into you, and she will bring a tom (or toms) with her.

Admittedly, I have a huge advantage over most other hunters when utilizing this method...  I am extremely proficient at irritating women (just ask my wife).

I have tried gobbling and fighting purrs, and have had no success...  That is not to say I will not continue to try these methods (especially when all else fails).  I'm guessin' one day I will be glad I tried.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.