OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Strut Stopper StoryThread  (Read 18136 times)

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
Re: Strut Stopper StoryThread
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »
Heck ya!! Great story.  Unbelievable here in southern Missouri. We have historical flooding going on right now in our town with the current river. Highest recorded was like 26.80ft back in 1904. Supposed to crest Tuesday at 33ft!!!! Needless to say the hunting hasn't been good for the last 3 days. Butttt I did find a new piece of public 5 miles from house, and no school tomorrow so home boy is goin huntin!! The eleven point river is over the bridge at Riverton on 160 hwy. They say they may close the bridge going into town. What sucks is I'll be flooded in from both directions out to civilization,lol. Guess that means I may get to hunt more,lol. Good luck to those still hunting, and congrats to all that killed. Hopefully some waterlogged bird will want to gobble and play.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
Guys here's the deal. My town is underwater and we are kind of in a state of emergency. I had to drive a ways to make a call so I thought I would chime in. If someone kills something I will need someone to reply to the kill entries. Our power is out, bridges east and west and south closed, and landline is gone. It may be 4-6 days before we get power back or even the dang river going down. Supposed to crest 11 feet higher than all time record in 1904!!! Wife's work is flooded and our school did too some so no work for us. Windy as hell this morning but I went anyway, heard 1 hen and seen where a slew of hogs went through. Gonna try again tomorrow, nothing else to do,lol. If I get back out and happen to get another signal I'll look in. All of our cell reception on all phones is out. All well, make the best of it and thank goodness for my little generator.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2017, 04:55:43 AM »
Good luck Turkey Harvester and be safe.
Sounds like a possible bad situation there.

Offline wvhoyt19

Strut Stopper StoryThread
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »
Be safe Turkey Harvester. We'll keep you in our prayers! Good luck hunting too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline birdman67

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 07:02:14 AM »
Take care turkey harvester! Pray things get back to normal formyou guys soon.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »
Yea back to civilization!!! Rivers down but what a stinkin mess. Its rained and wind has blown for last 2 days. Hoping to get back out this weekend, its out last one. This season has sucked!!

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
I hope all is well with you and your family, turkey harvester. We had some bad flooding back in 2015 and it took a while to get back to normal, so I know how you feel. Thoughts and prayers for y'all.

Unless the weather does a 180 by tomorrow morning, it looks like my season is done. I can honestly say that this has been my best season yet. I found some public land to hunt (it was right in front of my eyes the entire time, ha!), and killed my first public land bird (or any animal, for that matter) this year, which I called in all by myself. It was the fastest hunt I have ever been on, my second fastest is a deer hunt where I killed a deer after only being in a tree for 15 minutes. Also, this is the first year that I have killed more than one bird.

As good as this season has been, and as much as I have learned on OG, I am going to have to let it (OG) go. I realized that I have been spending way too much time staring at my computer screen, mainly OG and AT, and it has become a problem (nothing serious, but not fair to my family). I am going to wait until after the contest is complete before I deactivate my account because I don't want to risk costing our team the points that I scored. I have not checked the standings, so I am not sure where we stand in the contest, but good luck to those of you who still have some hunts left.

I just built a nice fire pit area in the backyard, so I am looking forward to spending more nights out there with my family and a few cold ones.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
Deerbasshunter, much respect to you. It takes a man to see something that could or is a problem and do something about it. It does not have to be anything illegal or bad, but just something that interferes with our priorities.
Some would say it is a weakness, I see it as an strength.

Glad to have met you and been on the same team.
Anybody else still hunting?

Offline birdman67

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
Hats off to you deerbasshunter! Nice to have been on a team with ya. Hope all things work out. Enjoy your family. They are where our time needs to be used.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
Glad we got to know ya buddy. With everything that has went on this season, flooding, crappy weather, I'm bout ready for a break myself, lol. Have fun with the family, I know I'm ready for summer!! River time.

Offline ruination

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
That's why you OG at work!

But seriously dude, good on you for recognizing an addiction and walking away.

I still have a couple of weeks left to hunt, been getting real close but just not connecting.

Had a windy morning last week so I set up on a tree with my wife in the middle of a meadow.  Couple of hens came through around 8.  About 10 I hear rustling leaves and spitting to my left in the trees.  Whisper to my wife that there's a Turkey right there.  Determined he was walking in the direction behind me, so I started to try and get in position but my wife was where I really needed to be. 

Heard an alarm put and saw him flying away, apparently he came out about 5 yards away and my wife was afraid to say something and of course I am jostling around trying to set up.
.410 Favors the Bold

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
Keep at it ruination, it will all come together for you.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2017, 04:06:54 PM »
Finally made it come together this morning. Last morning at that!!! He wasn't where they normally are, which is across the gravel on another one of the properties we can hunt. Didn't get to him till he flew down but he continued to gobble so I figured he was by himself. Got on the edge of a wood lot, which had a green strip around it. He gobbled and wasn't 70 yards away. Set up the full strutter and a hen decoy. Made a few calls and he answered every call. Got him really fired up and within minutes he was running to the strutter. Had a Mexican standoff for a few but I couldn't take it no more and rolled him at 18 steps. 21.60 lbs, 10 beard, 1" on one side, 7/8 on other. Hunted with my little brother so it was a hunt to remember!!! Had him on the ground at 6:16. Score was 61.35 I think. I'll post pics up tomorrow, I'm at my sons wedding today so needless to say great day.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
Congrats turkey harvester, X2. ( sons wedding and your bird)
Good bird too, persist does pay off.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2017, 09:56:11 AM »
Messed the score up, its 60.125, lol.