OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I am struggling with owl calls...  (Read 27741 times)

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: I am struggling with owl calls...
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
Come to Florida, especially Hickory Mound WMA and leave your calls at home.  Then take a seat at first light and practice with your hands cupped and just your mouth.  It is very easy to call like an owl with no aid.  I have called them in to the tree over my head plenty of times.Most folks I know hoot with their voices. Seriously, just listen to the birds, no matter which you choose.  You will find what works best.  I like to sound like a real owl for 2 reasons.  One, you will fire up other owls, so that will help.  Also, another hunter nearby does not know if you are a person or an owl. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
I know a guy here in NY that swears by elk bugle calls to get them to shock gobble but I have never tried them myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »
I have the Harrison & the Zink. Harrison is easier, but Zinks sounds better. Both calls get gobbles.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline ZachH28

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »
Hanks Game Calls is making a Hooter now. It took first place in the call making contest at nationals. I picked one up at the Dixie Deer Classic here in NC. It is a little different than the Harrison, I'm still getting used to it, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with it. May wind up replacing the Harrison in my vest with it this season.

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2018, 08:34:41 AM »
I have the Harrison & the Zink. Harrison is easier, but Zinks sounds better. Both calls get gobbles.

Really ? I wouldn’t give mine away it sounds that bad.

I have a few hooters and my favorite is the houndstooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »

I agree w this. I’ve heard some Zink and they’ve all been garbage. Hootin sticks I’ve never heard a bad one.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
Is there a hooter that can produce calls resembling great horned owl? Essentially less rasp, it just doesn't go "ya'll"

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
Personally I like mine!

https://youtu.be/AhOZgiQssqo
Wow! Sounds great Lyle

[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »

I agree w this. I’ve heard some Zink and they’ve all been garbage. Hootin sticks I’ve never heard a bad one.

Well, guess I lucked out and got a good one!   :funnyturkey:
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline Woodhaven

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 04:22:23 PM »
Only way hoot owl calls works for me if I can get several owls going all at one time then they get the turkey fired up

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
The hootin stick works great for me I can even do a coyote howl on it, in Nebraska I've actually got yotes to respond. That's my preferred evening shock call

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
I think the realism is overstated, use your voice and go for volume. I have never used a hooter in my 47 years of turkey hunting. I can usually make turkeys gobble when the guys on hooters can't

Offline Woodhaven

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
Try using your mouth, practice sounding like a owl.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »
To the voice guys, in many areas it’s not only how loud or simply sounding like an owl. It’s the roll or laugh that sets off birds around here. I’ve owl hooted plenty w the voice but plenty more w a hooting stick. It’s far superior, least in the states I visit.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:45 PM »
To the voice guys, in many areas it’s not only how loud or simply sounding like an owl. It’s the roll or laugh that sets off birds around here. I’ve owl hooted plenty w the voice but plenty more w a hooting stick. It’s far superior, least in the states I visit.
Very true, and I am of the voice group.  I start trying to be as realistic as I can, but if nothing answers, I vary it up and get louder and do not try to sound as real.  Just ending with the "Who cooks for you ALLLLLLLLLLL" part.  Also, when you hear two owls getting fired up, they will often sound quite different.  If a hooting stick can make THAT call (the "laugh"), then it is better than any others I have heard and I would carry it. That is my only complaint with the owl calls, the ones I have heard don't have much variation. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.