OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I am struggling with owl calls...  (Read 27744 times)

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
I am struggling with owl calls...
« on: February 01, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
What call is the easiest call to make realistic owl sounds?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: I am struggling with owl calls...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
Don't know if they make it any longer, mine is pretty old but works great! I have a H.S. Strut Reeded Owl Hooter, not going to say it is the "Best" owl but it makes them gobble. Not calling contests here just use what works. If you could find it I'd buy it. Mostly I do a Laughing Call and short with a good roll at the end and seems to work the best. I do the traditional "Who cooks for you" too.

MK M GOBL

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
Are there any calls that sound like an owl just by blowing into it?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »
There are a few "Hoot" type barrel calls that don't take much too run but I never got the results like I do from the reed Barred Owl call.

MK M GOBL

Offline ncwoodsman

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »
I use the Harrison Hoot'n Stick. Not sure if it's the easiest, but the call sounds great when done correctly. Like anything else, practice, practice, practice...

Offline Full strut

• Woooo Pig Sooie
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:20:32 AM »
The Harrison's hoot stick in walnut is a great call. I will run it until it breaks :icon_thumright:

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
I have the Down N Dirty Boogieman barred owl call, but, to be honest, it really just hurts my cheeks to use it. Not to mention, I cannot, for the life of me, get the roll at the end of the "who cooks for you all..."

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
NOTHING is easier to make realistic owl sounds than Harrison hooter. That does not mean turkeys gobble at it best. I can call with realistic hooters and get no response. Get most gobbles with primos hooter with two of the three holes covered. About 20 years this has been the case more often than not. One note owl imitation with natural voice gets a lot of shock gobbles. Resembles a red neck yelling more than an owl, but works. Just trying to say, use what makes em gobble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »
My Hoot'N Stick is really easy to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
NOTHING is easier to make realistic owl sounds than Harrison hooter. That does not mean turkeys gobble at it best. I can call with realistic hooters and get no response. Get most gobbles with primos hooter with two of the three holes covered. About 20 years this has been the case more often than not. One note owl imitation with natural voice gets a lot of shock gobbles. Resembles a red neck yelling more than an owl, but works. Just trying to say, use what makes em gobble.

Primos Hoot Flute?

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
Another vote for Harrison Hootin Stick. I ordered one made from Cocobollo and love it.
Get yourself one and watch a few videos and  practice, will not take long. PI am down here in Florida and the Osceolas gobble to the owl laugh a lot.

https://youtu.be/As_djxF2ntk

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 02:57:47 AM »
Is the Hootin stick really as easy as it looks on the YouTube videos?

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 03:38:36 AM »

Primos Hoot Flute?

Yes sir. I have three hoot flutes. One of them is more effective than the other two. Crazy!!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 07:04:58 AM »
I have the Down N Dirty Boogieman barred owl call, but, to be honest, it really just hurts my cheeks to use it. Not to mention, I cannot, for the life of me, get the roll at the end of the "who cooks for you all..."
Throat gargle or tongue flutter almost like feed chuckle on a duck call. Your cheeks shouldn't hurt. Sounds you're trying too hard

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
Well, I just ordered a Hoot'N stick synthetic. Hope it sounds as good, and is as easy, as every body makes it out to be.