OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I am struggling with owl calls...  (Read 27734 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: I am struggling with owl calls...
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »
I do the laugh or warble with my voice as well. I have had them fighting above me and dive bombing me. If that doesn't work I just am not hearing a gobble there will be another day.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 04:56:21 PM »
To the voice guys, in many areas it’s not only how loud or simply sounding like an owl. It’s the roll or laugh that sets off birds around here. I’ve owl hooted plenty w the voice but plenty more w a hooting stick. It’s far superior, least in the states I visit.
Very true, and I am of the voice group.  I start trying to be as realistic as I can, but if nothing answers, I vary it up and get louder and do not try to sound as real.  Just ending with the "Who cooks for you ALLLLLLLLLLL" part.  Also, when you hear two owls getting fired up, they will often sound quite different.  If a hooting stick can make THAT call (the "laugh"), then it is better than any others I have heard and I would carry it. That is my only complaint with the owl calls, the ones I have heard don't have much variation.
You can you tube James Harrison running the hootin stick. You’d be surprised I think if you never heard an owl call roll or laugh. I’ve never heard voice calling doing all that but I’m not saying it’s impossible. You tube it and tell me what you think

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 05:05:49 PM »
https://youtu.be/As_djxF2ntk

Idk if this’ll work but it may

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »
https://youtu.be/hHs9u-O-0n4

Another one shows more volume

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 05:29:49 PM »
That's pretty darn good Bowguy. No I can't do it that well, but I can do it good enough that I'm satisfied it should make a turkey gobble. If I can't make him gobble then so be it. There's always another bird and another day.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:44 PM »
I agree I wasn’t trying to convince anyone but for others undecided it’s an option. It’s actually easy to run as well.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2019, 03:29:04 AM »
For sure that is good.  But he is also a world champ so it should be.  I can do a decent enough laugh and as long as my throat is not too dry can roll a bit.  Nothing like that though.  You are right.   That does sound good. 

Many of the places I hunt they don’t much gobble to an owl.   Too common.

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »
For sure that is good.  But he is also a world champ so it should be.  I can do a decent enough laugh and as long as my throat is not too dry can roll a bit.  Nothing like that though.  You are right.   That does sound good. 

Many of the places I hunt they don’t much gobble to an owl.   Too common.

It’s really not hard. You’d be surprised. As a lifelong call user understanding back pressure is second nature I guess. Anyone who can feed chuckle on a duck call knows tongue flutters which is how I did things initially. Last year when I was sick it gave me palsy on one side. The tongue flutter was impossible.  It was easy to learn the gargle and because I still have slight palsy I favor the call to that side as that’s where the seal would break. I run the call and throat gargle the rolls. There’s zero issue. If I can do it w limitations I’d think anyone could. The synthetic is cheap if anyone wanted to try it. Sounds as good as the wood also. I use wood, my buddy uses the synthetic. Both are great

Offline tteel

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2019, 12:49:51 AM »
I believe Harrisons Hoot N Stick is the most realistic easiest call.