Started by turkey buster, January 31, 2017, 02:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonofabuck

Got a dandy this morning. Posting soon.

sonofabuck

Illini Tom

wow. great bird. big congrats
those are some killer spurs  :happy0064: :happy0064:

headin out for day 2 of my final season/tag. no action or gobbles at all yesterday. windy, rainy, wind chill in the high 30s. looks like another sit in the tent ... and rain in the forecast the next 4 days  :P

turkey buster

sonofabuck

After sitting for an hour in 25 MPH winds and starting to rain I had given up.  Took my vest off and started walking a hardwood bottom looking for morels.  After walking a few hundred yards the wind died down just for a few seconds and I heard a gobble.  I eased up to the trail that goes through our lease and heard him again.  I closed the distance some and sat on a stump on the side of the trail.  I had my gun and still in camo but left my vest and deeks when I decided to give up.  Luckily I kept my mouth call in.  A few yelps and he gobbled back.  Next thing I know here he comes running around a bend in the trail.  Gun still in my lap and not much cover.  He stops about 80 yard to strut a bit.  A couple soft yelps and he starts running again right at me.  If I didn't go to raise my gun up I think he would've ran right past me.  Soon as he saw the gun come up he put on the brakes and made one putt but it was too late for him.  Best bird I've ever taken. 

nickhrp

Damn that sounds like a exciting hunt
God Bless the Outdoors

Illini Tom

my season's over. filled tag no. 3 friday
got one to come in mid-morning during a break in the rain
didnt gobble, just a couple half hearted fans, nice tom but no upgrade
hope the team can get a few more on the scoreboard

nickhrp

Where's everybody at how's the hunting going
God Bless the Outdoors

turkey buster

Wishing I'd went to Oklahoma a few weeks ago when it was offered. I've been going south and fishing for reds and catching crabs

nickhrp

I walked up on a group of hens and they started to spook and I pulled out my bmobile silk fan and actually fanned them got within 30 yds and back crawled away to a gully and slid out that crap actually works my buddy that was with me had a hen decoy holding it beside me we was shocked we got so close and got out without spooking them now we wanting to try it on a gobbler
God Bless the Outdoors

sonofabuck

I may get to hunt one more weekend here in TN.  But it would take another personal best for me to upgrade.  Not optimistic.

Gooserbat

This season has been unique... I didn't score any of my Oklahoma birds because they all were smallish.  Had to skip Missouri and New Mexico happened with messed up pics.  Oh well I have one last chance in Nebraska towards the end of the month.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey buster

Hopefully our individual seasons hasn't been as disappointing as our team score has looked

nickhrp

I'm done no luck at a bird upgrade hell I didn't hear a gobble last two weeks
God Bless the Outdoors

theghost_03

Sorry guys been all over the last month and half hunting.  Ended up shooting a stud here in MN with my bow.  Ended up being the new state typical record.  I will get things up soon!
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS