OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cabelas or Ol Tom Vest ? - Opinons wanted  (Read 11304 times)

Offline Txag12

Re: Cabelas or Ol Tom Vest ? - Opinons wanted
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
I have the cabelas vest, love it

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
Cabelas or Ol Tom Vest ? - Opinons wanted
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
I just got a new ol tom ibeam. I've had an ol tom essentials vest for about 7 or 8 years. The difference in quality from old to new is very disappointing. The old vest is quieter, has better stitching and has much better magnets for the seat. Ol tom definitely took a nose dive in the quality department.

I've also got a tenzing tv14 without the kickstand. That vest is extremely well built but it's a little on the heavy side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hawk

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
Take a look at the ALPZ Grand Slam at Midway if you are considering the Tactical Tatr.  The Alpz is on sale and is similar to the Tatr.
Do you have this vest. I'm thinking of getting one but concerned about the OSFA sizing. I'm only 135 lbs. Will strikers fit in that cell phone pouch which I think is wasted space.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »
Ol Tom IMO has terrible quality. I dont know how many times I had to sew things back together on my old I-Beam. I have a TATR III how and just got a Alpz yesterday. Going to see which I like more tonight.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
Quality is poor that's for sure .Bought their shirts with mouth call pockets etc.Preaty bad quality Dang they are not cheap either, even at half price they are not worth it in my opinion.

Offline kylbjack

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »
I have owned both cabelas tactical tat'r vest and ol tom time in motion vest. Both are two of the best vest money can buy. However Ol'Tom is owned by Drake waterfowl systems and any of you duck hunters know and can testify that anything made by Drake has about a 2 year timetable of average use before something on the product fails. I would go with the Tat'r this will be my 4th year with it and i couldnt be more pleased(unless it had a hydration bladder)

Online ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
I have had both and I sold the Ol Tom and kept the Cabela's T2.  The cabela's vest is by far the most comfortable vest I have ever used. All of the pockets are well thought out and I love the cushion.  The Ol tom was a hot vest and the seat would never stay attached magnet in the back of the vest.       

Offline Stumpy225

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
Like my tt2 but it gets hot later in the season. Gonna try the it I beam this year. Tt2 has held up well for 8 seasons so far.

Offline Barry Keicks

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »
Am I the only one that find the snaps for the seat cushion on the Cabelas Tactical a  pita to buckle back up? I have to take the vest off to do them up.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »
Am I the only one that find the snaps for the seat cushion on the Cabelas Tactical a  pita to buckle back up? I have to take the vest off to do them up.

I think you are doing it wrong..... You are not supposed to use the buckles once you get it adjusted the way you like it.  Check out this video.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/video_popup.jsp?new=true&productId=730722&scene7Id=cabtacttatr2

You just flip it up and down.  Actually the "speed seat" is one of my favorite features of this vest.  No more running/walking with the cushion hitting the back of your legs or buckling up between spots.  It works exactly as advertised.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »

I think you are doing it wrong..... You are not supposed to use the buckles once you get it adjusted the way you like it.  Check out this video.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/video_popup.jsp?new=true&productId=730722&scene7Id=cabtacttatr2

You just flip it up and down.  Actually the "speed seat" is one of my favorite features of this vest.  No more running/walking with the cushion hitting the back of your legs or buckling up between spots.  It works exactly as advertised.
After seeing this video, I may purchase this vest. The way the seat folds out is killer!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
Cabela's is far better quality.  I gave up on Ol Tom stuff a long time ago. Cheap materials, and cheaply constructed.  Never again.

I love my Tactical Tat'rs . Great gear. 

Royal Slam 2008

Offline Barry Keicks

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 06:19:08 AM »

I will be darned. Always figured there was something I was missing.  :icon_thumright:

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »

After seeing this video, I may purchase this vest. The way the seat folds out is killer!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Best seat design on the market IMO. If you ever carry decoys you never need to worry about the decoy bag causing your seat to come undone and smack against your legs.

Offline SSCsnood

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
Highly recommend checking out the bucklick creek vest