OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wendell Jolley Scratch Tube  (Read 9666 times)

Offline chefrific

• The Boss Gobbler
Wendell Jolley Scratch Tube
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »
My first "scratch" type call.  Wendell Jolley's Scratch Tube.  This one is in sassafras. Looks a lot like the old Tom Gaskins call but with a handle.
I put a sound clip link after the photos of one of my first attempts at running it.  I've got a lot to learn, but this call has some potential with practice.  Raspy little call.  I'm really digging these scratch boxes.  New addiction starting.

"https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/305321646&auto_play=true&hide_related=false&show_comments=false&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true">

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:19:08 PM by chefrific »

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Wendell Jolley Scratch Tube
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »
I purchased one a month ago it's a really neat call
Does take some getting use too

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:26:17 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Offline Red vyper

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »
Do you have Wendalls contact number?

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:48:20 AM »
I think it sounds great!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
I have one on the way...Just a mention, I've talked to Wendell at length a few times now and he's a great guy. He called yesterday to see if I got the call yet cause he wanted to know what I thought of it. Now that's a guy who cares about his craft!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
Going through some of these posts and came across this one...I got the scratcher and I wasn't disappointed, even a little...
Wendell's scratchers are sweet, higher pitched calls. Get a little away from them and they sound like the sweetest young hen you ever heard...That and they're a cool little design, something unusual.
I just ordered a couple more from him (I have a cedar and now I'll have sassafras and mulhberry)...
To boot, Wendell is a really nice, genuine guy who really cares about his craft and his legacy...
If you're looking for that unusual sound that may set a gobbler off this Spring, I think you'd do well to call Wendell...I'm convinced a gobbler is going down this Spring in N.J. He's going to fall in LOVE!
https://youtu.be/vN7seiwGzg0

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
What does one of those calls cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »
Cool.  He is obviously a passionate and talented callmaker.  Thanks for sharing that video Glenn.  Funny he apparently knows not to let children play with your turkey calls.  That style of scratchbox is very nostalgic and refreshing.  Thumbs up. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
Something else I had never heard of, very cool.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
What does one of those calls cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're reasonable by any measure. I'd say, but I'll leave that to Wendell. 1-423-365-5462...He's a great guy to talk to. Give him a call...

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »
I know this sounds a little fantastic but I was using my mulberry scratcher inside the house and thought I heard a gobble. I was a little confused. Thought maybe it was an appliance that I mistook for a gobble. i went outside, on my porch and ran the call...BOOM! A gobble! Scratched again and two gobbles, close! All of a sudden, from the front of the house runs a gobbler (longbeard). He sees me and turns back to where he came from. I quickly went in the house and out the front window, I see two gobblers running back toward the porch where I was calling from. Then a third...They were looking all around for that "hen."
They stayed for about 40 mins., wandering around and gobbling off and on.
They had heard that call from about 25 yds., through the walls and closed windows! Hah!
After that, I was enthusiastic about it working in the field...
Well, two gobblers this season couldn't get enough of that little call. Both longbeards...That was enough to convince me. I won't be in the field without one of Wedell's scratchers!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:33:15 PM by sixbird »

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
Just a followup on the Jolley scratcher. Killed two longbeards with the mulberry one. They were mesmerized. I'm a believer!

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
Wendell will take the time to talk to you about his calls and how to run them.  I just got a persimmon from him that sounds great.  It'll be killer with practice.  He texted and then called me to make sure I was satisfied with the call.  We talked everything outdoors, including my Feist dog.  This world could use more Wendell's!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:18:35 PM »
Wendell will take the time to talk to you about his calls and how to run them.  I just got a persimmon from him that sounds great.  It'll be killer with practice.  He texted and then called me to make sure I was satisfied with the call.  We talked everything outdoors, including my Feist dog.  This world could use more Wendell's!

Exactly...