OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEF 10ga

Started by Liljake, January 29, 2017, 07:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liljake

Hi fellas, I'm new here, I have a nef 10ga. I added a Sims recoil pad and a ballistic specialties angleport .690 tube. i'm currently shooting Remington's 3 1/2" 10 gauge turkey #4 I would like to improve my pellet count at 40 yards, can anyone recommend a load for this particular gun/choke? I would also like to upgrade the sites and add a red dot, anybody make a onepiece rail for this gun?   Thanks for letting me in and I really appreciate any advice or tips on this matter thank you.    Jake
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Rem Man

Honestly sir I'm a huge 10 man and have tested a ton of ammo and chokes and the only shells I found that are worth shooting from a 10 are federal hw, nitros, mag blend if not those you might as well just shoot a 20 or12, this is just my opinion through my testings.

deadbuck

If you are going to shoot store bought shells, the mag blends will probably put up the best numbers and still be within safe pressures. However, the recoil with them is brutal in that gun. I have one and speak from experience.

potter

I have bps with rhino 690 have shot the rem. No 4 and get an average of about 80 in 10 at 40. I am new at this choke game to but agree with rem man on best shells. Itested fed hw 7 and they did not work well in the rhino . But the no 7 hit hard. Half inch into pine board same as the rem no4. I would like to use them and would like some suggestions on whatchoke.

kickin wing

Deadbuck will probably chime in he helped me out with my bps. Ended up with sumtoy choke and fed hvy wt #7. Does a fine job at 40. Anything inside 30 makes it easy to miss bc its so tight.

TRex18

I have a NEF 10 longbarrel, Rhino 720 and Kicks 690, Rem Man has helped me out. I will post pics tom.

I have a red dot on it. Its dipped in camo. I like the Rhino 720/MagBlends combo. Hits like a Freight train on both ends. Its Beautiful.

nickp

What they said.  Federal Heavyweight 7's or Mag Blend.  Also there are the Nitro's and then there is handloads that you could turn that gun into a monster with.  I stick with the mag blends and federal 7's, as they put a great pattern out of mine to 40 and beyond.  Especially the mag blends. 

Liljake

Thanks for the advise everyone. 

TRex18

kickin wing

You said you put a sims recoil pad on. What size or model fits ? Ive looked at all the limbsavers and cant find one that the screw holes line up. Limbsavers are nice but if i cant get my hands on one it does me no good. How do you like the sims ? Ill be patterning mine next week and sighting in my ff3 on it. I shot fed hwt #7 in my bps invector with sumtoy .685 choke it was great like 244 in 10 at 40yrds. Ill be using the same load and choke in my h&r .the barrel on the h&r is a lot shorter so we shall see the difference. 

kickin wing

Heres the bps pattern i was talking about if itll load.

Liljake

Quote from: kickin wing on February 09, 2017, 06:50:58 PM
You said you put a sims recoil pad on. What size or model fits ? Ive looked at all the limbsavers and cant find one that the screw holes line up. Limbsavers are nice but if i cant get my hands on one it does me no good. How do you like the sims ? Ill be patterning mine next week and sighting in my ff3 on it. I shot fed hwt #7 in my bps invector with sumtoy .685 choke it was great like 244 in 10 at 40yrds. Ill be using the same load and choke in my h&r .the barrel on the h&r is a lot shorter so we shall see the difference.
Its a slip on Simms recoil pad

rifleman

Kicking wing,  That is a very tight pattern and pity the birds.  Long ago i shot the 10 ga NEF with a Rhino .690 and Nitro 4x5x7 shot.  Worked very well for a few years and the next thing I knew I was starting to miss.  I developed a flinch, sold the gun and went back to my 12 ga and Ray's shells.  At first I didn't feel the recoil until after the shot.  One morning I actually thought I had dislocated my shoulder.  Hold on tight.

mspaci

Ive had my best results with mag blends & a primos choke .690. Itl go 250-260.  The Nitros will go 325`s but are hard to get in NY.  Mike

SP-10 Fan

Quote from: Rem Man on January 29, 2017, 08:45:33 PM
Honestly sir I'm a huge 10 man and have tested a ton of ammo and chokes and the only shells I found that are worth shooting from a 10 are federal hw, nitros, mag blend if not those you might as well just shoot a 20 or12, this is just my opinion through my testings.

Ditto on the above.  I've been shooting my SP-10 for the last 13 seasons.  I tried a Benelli Super Eagle II at one point, and beat myself to death with 3.5" 12 gauge shells.  I traded my Benelli straight up for the SP-10.  That was without a doubt in my mind, the best firearm transaction I've ever made.