OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey dog  (Read 4590 times)

Offline crow

• Double Beard
Turkey dog
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
Last Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting and hunting with Nick (Uncle Nicky on here) and his Dropper turkey dog Maizy. this was the Maryland winter season and my first time hunting with a turkey dog.

we had a good day in the woods and it was a real pleasure watching this dog hunt, Maizy is all business in the woods and goes right to work. It added a lot to the hunt

I have been thinking of getting a turkey dog for a while now and this put me one step closer when I'm ready for another dog.

Thanks again Nick, it was a lot of fun and a good day hunting with you and Maizy.

Offline Uncle Nicky

Re: Turkey dog
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:44:50 AM »
Last Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting and hunting with Nick (Uncle Nicky on here) and his Dropper turkey dog Maizy. this was the Maryland winter season and my first time hunting with a turkey dog.

we had a good day in the woods and it was a real pleasure watching this dog hunt, Maizy is all business in the woods and goes right to work. It added a lot to the hunt

I have been thinking of getting a turkey dog for a while now and this put me one step closer when I'm ready for another dog.

Thanks again Nick, it was a lot of fun and a good day hunting with you and Maizy.

Thanks Ken, it was my pleasure. Maizy thanks you too!! :thanks:

Offline rifleman

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
I had a mix setter/pointer several years ago.  The difficult part is teaching them to chase and bark upon break.  You also must show them lots of birds (or at least I did).  All that said, there is nothing more rewarding than having your dog break a flock for you.  My dog has been gone since 05' at only 4 yrs. old due to severe epilepsy.  Meds., neurologist and food changes nothing helped. I really miss him to this day, he was taken far too soon.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »
I had a mix setter/pointer several years ago.  The difficult part is teaching them to chase and bark upon break.  You also must show them lots of birds (or at least I did).  All that said, there is nothing more rewarding than having your dog break a flock for you.  My dog has been gone since 05' at only 4 yrs. old due to severe epilepsy.  Meds., neurologist and food changes nothing helped. I really miss him to this day, he was taken far too soon.

sorry to hear about losing your dog at a young age, thats always a tough deal.

I lost a 2yr old mt. cur to seizures back in the early 80's
she had a lot of natural talent and was coming along great,
raised her from a pup and was also a good buddy, took along time to get over that one.

Offline Uncle Nicky

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:49:39 AM »
I was lucky with Maizy, she had the instinct right from the beginning to bark on the break. I don't hunt any other birds or small game with her, so I truly believe she knows that when we put on the collar and head for the woods, turkey is on the menu. I did introduce her to a LOT of birds when she was a pup, and praised and made a big deal when she chased, flushed them, and barked. I've also heardthat if a dog isn't real mouthy, get ahold of a dead bird and tease her with it, hold it just far away so that they can't get it, and praise and make a big show of it when they do eventually bark, eventually they should make the connection.