turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for some advice

Started by emb5673, January 24, 2017, 10:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emb5673

Anytime I make a call with sharp cuts like a combo cut or a batwing they have way too much rasp. I've tried a range of different side tensions and they don't seem to change. All calls were .004 over .003 or proph. I'm not sure what else to try and in need of advice.

GobbleNut

You might try lessening the depth of the reed cuts, or cutting the tips off of the angle cut on the combo's (or V-cuts), or shaving the front edge of the long reed off (parallel with the front edge of the call,...or any combination of the above.  Very slight differences in reed configuration can make a lot of difference in the sound of a call.  Any call I have that does not sound the way I like, I always go through a series of cut adjustments to try to improve the sound.  Sometimes they are just duds,...but often those slight cut adjustments will turn a loser into a winner. 

Gooserbat

Gobblenut is right but another thing is how much lap do you have with your top reed.  The more over lap the more rasp.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.