OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 5 shot vs 6 shot  (Read 27477 times)

Offline blueridgegobbler

Re: 5 shot vs 6 shot
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »
Either one works fine I prefer 6s only because they don't offer 7.5s. killed a pile at 40 with the old 3-2-7.5 federals wish they still made that shell or better yet a longbeard with 7.5s. Will 4s penetrate more sure but my goodness a turkeys head is not that tough. They aren't that tough to kill a #8 low brass game load with 1 1/8 of shot will pulverize one at 30 yards I know from experience tried it just to see. But out of your 2 choices the 6s are the way to go.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »
For argument's sake,  Hevi #6s have the same density as #4 lead, right?  So, why not shoot the Hevi 6s and get the best of both worlds, a superior pattern with great penetration?  They Hevi shells are expensive, but how many times are you going to shoot each turkey season?

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 10:11:36 PM »
Either one works fine I prefer 6s only because they don't offer 7.5s. killed a pile at 40 with the old 3-2-7.5 federals wish they still made that shell or better yet a longbeard with 7.5s. Will 4s penetrate more sure but my goodness a turkeys head is not that tough. They aren't that tough to kill a #8 low brass game load with 1 1/8 of shot will pulverize one at 30 yards I know from experience tried it just to see. But out of your 2 choices the 6s are the way to go.

Agreed a Turkey is not that hard to kill but a number 4 LB gives a little bit of insurance if the yardage is farther than estimated. Also as I stated I shot two turkeys between 45 and 50 yards and the one with 6s almost got away. Now some say they won't shoot a turkey any father than 30 yards and I respect that but I do shoot farther. Turkeys do not get away from the #4 LB. I know a lot of hunters that have wounded birds with #6 shot no matter what the type of shells they are using because they gave into temptation and shot farther then they should have or beyond their ability.

I also like that LB is inexpensive and I normally catch it on sale for 12-13 a box at Wally world no less. At least I did last year. This allows me to shoot much more. I like to stick soda cans on old arrows and shoot them at different distances.

"For argument's sake,  Hevi #6s have the same density as #4 lead, right?  So, why not shoot the Hevi 6s and get the best of both worlds, a superior pattern with great penetration?  They Hevi shells are expensive, but how many times are you going to shoot each turkey season?"

As stated I can practice more with LB than Hevi. Hevi shells may be a good choice for someone that does not shoot a lot or hunt that much. But my main reason for not using them is that I am unable to get good patterns with them using my current setup. I am also the type that when something is working really well why change for minimal improvement. I am the same with my rifles. I set up a load an stick with it.

Enjoyed the feedback and other opinions. I really like to know what works for others and do, when time permits, try other formulas.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline RebelW

• MAKE'M FLOP!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 10:59:12 PM »
I love to get them close with either 4-6s. I want to see their head fly off!
MAKE'M FLOP!!

Offline nickp

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »
Actually, the hevi 6 is comparable to 5 lead. Still a killer flat out. To answer the ops question, it comes down to pattern and range. If the pattern is there, you can kill most likely, depending on range. If you don't have a dense pattern of 6s at a given distance, then they may not drop him at the longer distance. Reason being is energy hitting the target nor carries by individual pellets but the swarm hitting the head. Without a good swarm, the bigger pellets may be more effective as they have a better chance of breaking bone.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 07:26:08 PM »
I see guys use the #4 has more energy in case the bird is farther and that is correct.  What happens when you don't have the pattern at the misjudge range to make all that energy count?  I've seen it done, I've seen birds lost with #4's. 

#6's result in lost birds because people shoot farther than they should with #6's.  True, and I've seen it done with #4's and #5's.  I had a friend lose a bird with #4 lead, so automatically they don't kill well, you know because it's always the ammo's fault.  We took out a range finder and he shot the bird at 66yds, still plenty of energy but a crap pattern at 66yds knocked the bird down and he lost some feathers right before he flew off. 

I've killed birds with #4, #5, #6 and #7htl.  They are all dead but none have been killed farther or with more authority than with a load of #7 htl so that's all I shoot.  I'm a fan of pattern density with good shot.

I still shoot a lot of patterns with lead but when it comes time for killing, pass me the #7 HTL please.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:34:47 PM by Tom Foolery »

Offline maytom

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 07:15:10 AM »
Of your two choices, I'd go with #5's any day of the week. Little less shot, but more energy at the extreme ranges. No Brainer.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »
Okay the answer is simple.  Go with the better pattern.  Pattern density is what kills and generally 6's will pattern better than 5's.   Your pattern fails before penetration, assuming head/neck shots on wild turkey gobblers.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
   Your pattern fails before penetration, assuming head/neck shots on wild turkey gobblers.

That used to be the case, but Winch LBs have changed the equation. Those patterns with 6s in many cases extend beyond the killing ability of the pellets.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
If a gun shot 125 or so in the 10.at 40 yards and no large gaps with 5's , why not use it ?
Plenty of density and the energy at 40 that a load of 6's has at 30 yards.

Offline turkey buster

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
I lean more toward pattern density than anything. I've killed two turkeys with Remington Duplex 4x6 that sucked at patterning and which honestly was the only 2.75 load I had for an old Browning A5, and before I understood patterning truly. But I guess I got enough in him because both are dead. That being said I've also killed them with 12 gauges in 3in Winchester red #6's, 3.5in Winchester Supreme #6's, 3.5in Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend, 3.5in Longbeard #6's, 3in Longbeard #5's, and 20 gauge 3in Heavyweight 7's.  Shot size and shell size in any turkey load is sufficient as long as your gun shoots them well enough at the distance you intend to kill a turkey within common sense .

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
Part of the problem with the longbeard load of sixes is it's a nominal 1200fps. The old Supreme load, and supposedly the new Double XX version, does 1300fps. What has been said here the longbeard load won't do, the 1300fps load will. You also have to take into account distance estimation. An actual forty yards is further than most think it is.

Also, one should not assume sixes will out-pattern fives at distance. You gotta shoot and see.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 05:37:39 PM »
accidentally shot one at 50 yards with 6s last year. thought he was 40. shot a limb at point blank range and the wadding exploded about 6 inches from the barrel. he dropped. I ran over to him. this was before I even realized how far he was. he had brains hanging out his ears.....still managed to put a plenty of pellets in the kill zone. couldn't believe it though. I keep my barrel polished, and have a perfect choke. patterns well. however I don't intentionally take 50 yard shots....but 40 is a dead bird every time unless you pull and miss
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Hooks' n' Beards'

• Cuttin n' Struttin
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »
i have shot  16 out of my last 17 toms using win supreme 3.5" #5 or lb 3.5" #5.....i am never switching to anything else from my #1 turkey gun.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
For a 12 gauge i like 3 inch 5 and for 20 gauge i like 6 - 7 Federal H W ....