OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 5090 times)

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Introductions
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
Well most of the team is back for 2017 with the exception of 2, but we have 2 new members,  "allaboutshooting" and  "Llauber79."  Welcome to the team, last year was a lot of fun.  We didn't win, but we didn't lose and I think we ended up with a good group of positive, like minded, turkey hunting loving folks.   I think it would be nice for the new guys for everyone to give a quick intro.  I'll start:

I live in western North Carolina and also hunt on the coast in SC.  I grew up hunting, but took a break when life got crazy and returned full steam ahead about 5 years ago, never lookeing back.  My go to turkey calls are Hooks Executioner 2, Woodhaven Copperhead, and Gulvas Master's Choice.  My gun is an 835 with an Indian Creek Choke.  I use 3" #6 Longbeards (thanks to allaboutshooting for talking me out of using 3.5") and Hevi 3" 7's (thanks to Gumby for playing santa claus last year). 

Online Hunter1979

Introductions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
My name is Luke.  I don't think I ever remember seeing a final tally from last year's contest.  I thought we did pretty well for a first time team!

I hunt Michigan, and will hunt first season.  I tried Ohio last year, but couldn't seal the deal.  This year, I'm taking out my nephew for his first turkey, so I'm getting really excited for that.  I'm also hoping to take out my wife's cousin and uncle on their new property.  4 birds down would be a great season.  I tried using my Mathews Halon 7 last year to decapitate a bird.  I did not succeed.  My backup is my Benelli where I shoot the 3.5" longbeard 5s...I didn't get talked it off the 3.5"  haha.  I'm going to try again with the Magnus bullhead this year, I want a head to roll!

As far as calls go, well I have an addiction.  I'm not sure which calls will make the vest this year....

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
Introductions
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
My name is Matt and I'm from Conway, AR. I had a blast last year and look forward to it again. Great bunch of guys here. I hunt public land Arkansas most of the season. I will travel to Nebraska and to Kansas as well. As far as calls, I mix it up. I always have a trumpet with me, a couple mouth calls and a pot or two. My main gun is an Ithaca Turkeyslayer 12ga. I shoot primarily 3" Hevi 13 6s in it. I also have a youth 870 20ga that I use for when hiking the mountains. I shoot Fed HW 7s in it through a Sumtoy 562-5. I hunt a ton with my dad (he can still go hard with the best of them at 65) and enjoy every minute of it. I hope everyone has a safe and successful year and looking forward to it!!

Online Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Introductions
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
Lord have mercy. I thought I had a lot of pot calls. I'm jealous :-) Enjoy and be safe.

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
Introductions
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
I'm Bill. I'm from upstate SC. Last year was my first year and as most of you know, opening day I missed the first bird I ever got a chance at. Hoping to do better this year. I shoot a Winchester sxp 12 with 3.5" longbeard #6, but I'm going to pattern hevi 13 #7 and mag blend this year too. I have a Ryan bonjour slate with purple heart, cherry, yellow heart, cedar, tulip wood, and laminate strikers. I prefer the cedar and purple heart. I have a spring creek box that is leopardwood over maple, and I use various mouth calls. Can't wait to get back out in the turkey woods again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ILHUNTER

Re: Introductions
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
Looking forward to another good year of hunting with you guys, also glad to here we have a couple of new team members to replace the ones that couldn't be here.  I will be hunting private land in central Illinois with my 11 yr old son, then after our season is over my son and I and 2 other guys are heading to Nebraska.

Offline jepcho

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
Hey guys.  Looking forward to a great year with you guys again.  One of the new guys, Llauber79, is one of my best hunting buddies so that should be fun.  I cant wait for season to begin!  Hopefully I'll be able to help the team out.  I have hunts planned in Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota and South Dakota this year.  Cant wait to get started!

Offline llauber79

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »
Hey guys,
   Sorry it has taken me so long to introduce myself. My name is Levi and I’d like to say thanks for having me on the team.
   I’ve been avidly hunting turkeys for five years. In 2016, I hunted public land in Oklahoma later in their season with jepcho and another friend of ours. Although I did not succeed in tagging a gobbler, it was still very much a successful trip for me. I had tons of fun and I learned a lot. Jepcho and I returned to Iowa to double on a couple boss toms that he had patterned almost to a T. That hunt will never be forgotten. I filled my last spring tag in Iowa by creeping on some stubborn birds with my thunder chicken decoy. That was my first time successfully creeping.
   Some of my other successes from spring ‘16 were that I managed to get my 9 year old nephew his second turkey of his career and his first long beard (we got him a jake the year before). I was darn proud. I also put my dad on several long beards leading him to fill his two Iowa tags. On top of all that, his last bird was on the last morning of turkey season and it was a double beard. Above all of the hunts I put together last spring, the one that may have been the most special was watching my wife shoot her first turkey. She is paralyzed so we were limited on where we could go but I got her to a place I knew pretty well. I went out and set up decoys blinds and chairs (all the gear) and then returned to the truck to get her. In order to be and quiet as possible, I piggy backed her to the blind. It was but maybe two hour before she picked one of three jakes. There aren't many things that she gets all that excited about anymore, but boy I’ll tell you what... she was pumped about what she’d accomplished that morning.
   Finally, to finish 2016, I filled my fall Iowa tag on November 4th on a public property that had plagued jepcho and I for three or four years now. Icing on the cake was that it was my first archery bird... and a tom at that.
   As jepcho said, he and I are close hunting friends and we will be tagging many birds together in North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Missouri. I can't wait to see what this year has in store for us. Good luck to all you guys and have a safe turkey season.

GOBBLE GOBBLE,
Levi
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:25:03 PM by llauber79 »

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
She is paralyzed so we were limited on where we could go but I got her to a place I knew pretty well. I went out and set up decoys blinds and chairs (all the gear) and then returned to the trunk to get her. In order to be and quiet as possible, I piggy backed her to the blind. It was but maybe two hour before she picked one of three jakes. There aren't many things that she gets all that excited about anymore,

I can't express enough how awesome I think this is.  Nice Job

Offline llauber79

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »
Thank you. It was a heck of an accomplishment for us both. I'll be taking her out again this spring. Sounds like she is ready to hold out for and long beard. I'll keep you posted one how she does.

Offline Flounder

• Field Rep for Collard Patch Camo
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 06:25:31 AM »
Thanks for having me back! I'm Marlon front SE North Carolina. I had a blast competing last year, just another element to think about when hunting turkeys.
I had a great season last year and will be hard to top. I killed ol Collard Patch and near the end I got "The Frige".
I love the outdoors and I'm a Turkey hunting addict. Im year round, weather it be playing or buying calls, reloading or simply rubbing my guns.
I'll even take calls to work and during lunch I will walk over to the farm next door and call. Yes it a loaded Farm next to Government Complex. Wish I could get permission.
Thanks guys and lets get after them,
Marlon aka "Collard Patch"