OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

H&R 168 , Sumtoy .562-5, 3 Fed HW7

Started by Yoder409, January 22, 2017, 08:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Wondering if anyone else is shooting something similar and know what I should be expecting ?

H&R 168
25 1/2" barrel
3" cone
.562-5 Sumtoy
Fed HW 7

Shot the first patterns this afternoon.  Used a pair of 3" Win Supreme #5s to walk the windage & elevation in roughly.  Got a 96 and a 105 in the 10" @ 30 yds with these.

Shot one 3" Fed HW 7 then and got a 135 in the 10" @ 40 yds.  Sorry about the lousy cell phone pic.

I realize on shot really tells me nothing conclusive.  But the two counts on the lead shells were very similar.  Guessing the next HW 7 will be similar to the first...............  I kinda had something like 170 -185ish in my mind for a reasonable expectation.

Yes ??    No ??

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jordanz7935

130-150 is what I normally get out of my sumtoy 562-5 in my 870 20 ga with Fed HW 7s. I was hoping for higher #'s as my rsf .572 choke usually put up 125-140 with those shells, but I do like the hotter core in my pattern I get with the sumtoy choke. You may get better #'s if you shoot with a clean barrel.Also I know sumtoy told me to run a box of skeet loads through the choke to "break it in" before shooting for #s. I'm sure you already know the effectiveness of those shells they hit birds hard. 135 HW #7s is far superior to what most 12 ga guns can do with traditional(not longbeard) lead turkey loads. Do you have any feedback as to how the forcing cone work on your gun affected recoil? I'm thinking of having it done to my daughters youth H&R turkey gun to reduce the recoil.

SumToy

The single shot guns like the HV13 stuff little better.  The federal shell is a little hot (fast).  That is why the  big bore and auto guns like them little better.  I would clean the gun good to get all the oil out it and see how it does.  Now the cold temps will hold the numbers down some also. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Yoder409

Quote from: SumToy on January 23, 2017, 09:31:53 AM
The single shot guns like the HV13 stuff little better.  The federal shell is a little hot (fast).  That is why the  big bore and auto guns like them little better.  I would clean the gun good to get all the oil out it and see how it does.  Now the cold temps will hold the numbers down some also.

I'll give the bore a good cleaning and see how it goes.  But I believe I will stick with the Federal shell and just do what I can to maximize its potential in this gun.  I really like the way the Federal hits a bird !!

Realistically, the gun is EASILY 40 yard capable with the HW #7 and 35 yard capable with the Supreme lead #5 right now,  as is.  But turkey gun guys are number chasers by nature................

What kind of number do you feel should be REALISTICALLY attainable with this setup if I stick with the HW #7 ??  Am I close with the 135 ??  Or should there be room for meaningful improvement ??

Thank you, BTW, for all your help !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SumToy

130 to 140 if you take a average of all the guns.   Pump guns 140 to 150. The autos is all in what one.  160 to 180 with few going more.  That is the numbers I read and feed back we have got. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

davisd9

Forget chasing numbers and go kill birds. That is a great hunting pattern and those shells will rock them. No lead shell, longbeards or others, will touch them. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

Quote from: davisd9 on January 24, 2017, 10:01:12 AM
Forget chasing numbers and go kill birds. That is a great hunting pattern and those shells will rock them. No lead shell, longbeards or others, will touch them. Good luck!

:z-winnersmiley:

surehuntsalot

exactly what davisd9 said,  forget about the # racket and go kill some birds with your setup :icon_thumright:
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

chatterbox

Donald is 100% correct!
Great pattern! :icon_thumright:

Yoder409

Forget chasing numbers and go kill birds. That is a great hunting pattern and those shells will rock them. No lead shell, longbeards or others, will touch them. Good luck!!

Oh, believe me, fellers............. I fully intend to wrench some heads with this one !!!   I have complete confidence in its ability to do just that, as-is.

PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

posted this pic elsewhere, but just to confirm..................

135 in the 10" @40 was PLENTY !!!

PA elitist since 1979

boatpaddle

Congrats to the young lady... :icon_thumright:

That set up seems to work quite well......

Continued success to both of you....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

SumToy