turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Would...

Started by culpeper, January 20, 2017, 12:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

Make your time/success in the turkey woods this coming spring be better, even more successful, more rewarding?  Short of the obvious that you sit just outside their bedroom and the gobbler comes in from 125 yds hammering all the way.

Is your response based on experience, not making the same mistakes you did last spring, better equipment, more birds, luck??

EZ

More birds, lol, that goes without saying....but more time hunting with my two sons. They're both starting young families and newer jobs and it's hard for us to get time in the woods together.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: culpeper on January 20, 2017, 12:16:28 PM
Make your time/success in the turkey woods this coming spring be better, even more successful, more rewarding? 

Good weather and less bugs.

Bowguy

Having the ability to go whenever I wanted so I didn't have to "just get at it today" cause tomo I'm working

Happy

Honestly the only improvement I would like would be more time to hunt. I have always enjoyed every hunt and always take a few minutes after a successful hunt to just admire the bird and say a prayer of thanks. I do really enjoy the hunts that are an ongoing chess match and it takes a few hours and repositioning several times before it all comes together. I could care less about killing as many as I can or as fast as I can. Most of my hunts have a three hour window and it's not often I get to be out till the 12 or 1pm whistle in the states I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

greencop01

More time to hunt, work kills time. More attention to all the things that make a hunt successful and to remember all the details that work in bringing the bird to the gun. The object we all aspire to, "....I'm glad I lived to see it one more time." Tom Kelly 'Tenth Legion'
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

GobbleNut

I had to think about this one for a while.  I think most of the good stuff in my turkey hunting is covered.  I have great hunting buddies, hunt lots of land where there are lots of turkeys that know what they are supposed to do, and have plenty of time to get after them.

If I could change one thing, it would probably be the behavior of some hunters who disregard the law and seem to have a total lack of ethics.  For example, I don't think I can remember a spring opener that I have not heard shots in the distance from guys shooting birds off the roost.  That really disturbs me and hangs a cloud over the exhilaration I feel in knowing that another spring season is about to unfold. 

Then there are the guys driving up and down the roads trying to shoot a bird out of their vehicles or off of ATV's,...there are always a few of them.  ...And there are the occasional trespassers,...and conversely, private landowners or outfitters that try to keep hunters off of public land around their property. 

If I didn't have that kind of stuff going on during our seasons, everything would be pretty great....

Happy

Amen. One of the reasons I am a big fan of hunting alone and away from people.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MK M GOBL

I can only go with the "more rewarding". I have 8 weeks to hunt in the spring, during that time frame I'll only work a couple of days each week. I hunt with a couple of buddies kids every year (7 this year), I have a number of friends (guys and gals) I hunt with every year with shotgun & bow. I have time to hunt my own tags and have great success all the way around. The real only change I have made recently is I started videoing these hunts for myself and to share, I started doing this about five years ago and have got some awesome footage, I really enjoy this aspect of the hunt now (my more rewarding), kids think it's cool and some of them have been on "Outdoor Shows", I also film for a buddy who is on the sportsmen's channel.

MK M GOBL

captpete

1: My wife getting her 1st Gobbler. She has shot 1 jake and you would have thought it was a new world record.

2: My wife & I actually hunting togther and shooting a double. We hunt different seasons...I take her then hunt for myself. I make sure her hunt is the way SHE wants it. If she doesn't feel like going we stay home....that way she doesn't feel pressured or like she "has" to go. It helps to keep her interested that way.

renegade19

Good weather and lots of gobbling.

WildTigerTrout

More time in the woods and more vocal gobblers.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

culpeper

Gobblenut,

Good answer....I hadn't seen this one coming, but it sure makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for posting, unfortunately the people who should read this probably don't come to this site.

lmbhngr

This year is my daughter's first year turkey hunting. After 18 yrs she's decided she wants to kill a turkey. What would make all these years complete above and beyond all the birds we have harvested would be to call in a double for my son and daughter. My son wants to take one with his bow and have her take one with his 1100 youth 20.... That would be it for me

Muzzy61

More access to land. Just lost 2 of my 3 spots ( they were sold).
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr