OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call Purr-fect

Started by jqcargle, February 10, 2011, 11:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jqcargle

Anyone ever tried using this product for making mouth calls? I am wanting to learn how to make my own but there is no information concerning the process anywhere! Believe me I have looked. I even sent an email to call purr-fect's website to see if their kit came with instructions concerning the required tension on the latex and how to make the cutts in the reeds. Still no luck! I am not looking to start a business I'd just like to offer the turkeys in my area a different sound instead of the production calls they have been hearing. I also checked with some manufacturers of call presses and they too do not offer any help. I would hate to spend $600 dollars on a press and have no idea how to make these things. I have seen on the internet a set of plans from MYELKCALL.COM on making a crude press for turkey and elk mouth calls. I sent him an email also and he said the same thing as far as offering any instruction on making them! Come on someone help a fellow hunter out.........PLEASE! :help:

TRKYHTR

This is Mike Pentecost from Woodhaven making a mouth call. Hope this helps.

TRKYHTR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEeQZRWbTA&feature=related
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mmusso

Send me a PM and I'll explain as best as I can my process. It's really simple and just a lot of trial and error. Some calls will sing, and some go straight in the trash..

jqcargle

Mike I appreciate your sending me the link to your video. I actually have watched it before, you make it look simple! My biggest question is did you just learn on your own by trail and error or did someone show you how to stretch the latex and make the cutts to the reeds. I know this is your livleyhood and your not about to give away any secrets. Is there a cheap way of getting into making these calls and should I just try copying other peoples cutts? Thanks again!

ericjames

I would just like to find where to get all the materials a little cheaper. Its all trial and error,I take brand new calls that i buy if I dont like the sound I will put cuts in the reeds some sound good some go strait to the trash.

My uncle use to take a lead weight that was new , put it on an anvil and hammer it flat cut the frame the way you like kinda like the ones do now and go buy you some latex strech to preferance and bend the frame over hammed a little cover with athletic tape and try it

bgable79

I use a call purrfect kit and it works great for me. Can't complain a bit. I will say this I have talked with mmusso on other forums and he has made a lot more calls than I his advice will probably serve you well. But for an inexpensive way to get started call purrfect works just fine.
Sometimes you just gotta get in there,close your eyes,grit your teeth and start shooting

shootumindaface

The process of making a call is very simple... But making a good call has a steep learning curve.. Finally after throwing away countless and I mean countless calls I have finally reached a point where I would feel comfortable taking them to the woods..

Like myself everybody thinks they will just start stretching calls and in no time the calls they will produce are better than what is currently available.. Believe me, at times you will be frustrated, beating your head on the table, wondering what you are doing wrong LOL Even with two very good teachers a phone call away it took me forever.. One day it all came together and I figured out one little thing wrong...