OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Advice to stop my decoys from spinning around in the wind.

Started by sbertram, January 06, 2017, 03:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbertram

Hi I need advice to stop my decoys from spinning around in the wind.  I just got the Primos Gobbstopper Decoy Combo.  I have used other decoys in the past and when it is really windy out they spin around like a helicopter blade, which I think looks so unreal and would chase off a Tom.  How do you guys stop your decoys from spinning around?
Thanks

Bowguy

mwr

use an old camo arrow........I go up thru the hole in the bottom,then push it to the head, then the ground. This is beside the mount stake.

renegade19

Stick in the ground on each side.  Let it move some, adds realism.

MK M GOBL

I have DSD's and they have a rubber grommet on the stake, when you need to you just slide it up the stake until it bumps the bottom of the decoy, silent and allows some movement in the wind, always there until you need them.

MK M GOBL

Uncle Tom

Take a braid fishing line 8-10" long and and tie thru tip of tail....then a small dowel about 6" long, drill small hole in end of dowel...tie line thru this hole...sharpen end of dowel so can be pushed into hard ground...adjust your string length to your liking....my decoys have a small hole to push the dowel into when transporting, so it not hanging down and hanging up...can adjust the amount of movement by placing the dowel closer or further out when pushing into ground... Be sure to pull dowel out of ground FIRST when picking up decoy because can pull/break the line that has been tied into tail....believe me, I know.

sbertram

hi everyone thanks for the tips
renegade19 are you talking sticks from a tree or man made

renegade19

Your choice.  Carry a couple dowel rods with you or break a couple off where you can find them.  Birds don't care either way. I've done both.  Just anything you can stick in the ground to keep it from spinning like a top.

Old Gobbler

Put a whole bunch of rubber bands around the stake and run them up to contact the decoy to keep it from spinning
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jims

I've used rubber bands as mentioned above.  Also use sticks found in the area so decoys can move a little in the directions I want.  As mentioned some decoys come with a short bungee strap or something else on the decoy to prevent movement

Flounder

yelpaholic

i have a couple feather flex decoys I keep them from spinning by sitting on them  :z-winnersmiley:     Make a pretty good cushion

jblackburn

leave them in the truck!  :funny turkey:

Seriously, a stick in the ground works fine, several of the above ideas seem good, too
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

g8rvet

never thought much about it. I have seen folks use a handy stick and I have always done the same. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.