OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: pot bowing or warping after turning  (Read 3874 times)

Offline wvlimbhanger

pot bowing or warping after turning
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »
What is the cause for a pot call bowing or warping in he ay or two after taking it off the lathe?

I've got some zebrawood recently that after I get the call all worked out, sanded, finished etc. They have a slight bow in them to where the surface doesn't fit in them and I have to cave off a little bit more wood.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Re: pot bowing or warping after turning
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
My guess would be moisture.  Call was somewhat wet when you started, then dried and warpped, after you machined out the interior.  Less material will dry faster.  Too fast causes warpage.  Do you have a moisture meter?  One way to know for sure is, take a blank, unturned, and put it in a toaster oven over night or longer.  At low temp, preferably around 100 degrees.   Then make a pot.  See if it happens.  I know some woods, walnut in particular,  even tho dry, reacts to surrounding temp and moisture levels where I live, and can move enough through my finish work, that the surface will not fit right when all the finish is on and dried.  I will have to rechuck, and true up the seat.  Hope this helps.

Offline VanHelden Game Calls

• The Boss Gobbler
    • VanHelden Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:37:47 PM »
It happens, moisture and the fact you are releasing tension when hogging out the middle support of the blank.

I always rest my blanks a day after roughing out the pot, I always seem to notice a slight warp to very pot I make.

I rough out, mark how it was chucked and set aside a day or 2 then recheck and finish turning.

Offline New Yorker

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
Every single pot that I turn moves after my finish process and needs to be turned one more time to fit the sound board and striking surface. All of my wood is dry, I use exceptionally sharp tools and I take my time cleaning out the inside of the call so that I don't heat it up. So in my case, its my finish process that warps my calls.

Offline Disney

• Poor old boy couldn't resist a Timber Tune cluck.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:35:47 AM »
My experience is moisture. I tried a new water based dye and the instructions said to wipe the wood down with water, let it dry and wipe with rubbing alcohol. I did that and I should have known better because I was making a a soft Birdseye Maple. It warped like a canoe. I tried to warp it back into shape by doing the same thing. Then I turned the pot upside down with ten lbs of weight on it for a week. It looked great. Since I didn't want to put a water base dye on it now, I used an oil based stain. It warped like a canoe again within 5 minutes. Live and learn lol.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
I havent really had this happen to me, had a few with checks in side , but not warped?? Mike

Offline mmclain

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
Core it out let it rest.   Re turn. 

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 06:27:12 PM »
Core it out let it rest.   Re turn.