OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Load the gun  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Armyvet4583

Load the gun
« on: January 02, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
Alright y'all here's a good stories for you. 2 seasons ago (first yr I killed a turkey) My friend and I went to my club. Pulled up to our fist spot to listen and sure enough one was gobbling his head off. We came around the curve and another member's truck was parked where we were going to park. Our club had one Rd in so it was either drive by him or not hunt. We went past him and a few hundred yrds down stopped to listen again and sure enough that same bird was goin crazy. Not knowing where the other member went we couldn't set up on him. Anyways a few hrs later we came back that way and seen him said the bird shut up. I told him we were going to go around to the "Texas" side. Got out truck and heard a gobble. Ran into woods about 150yrds called again and they were closing the distance fast. We set up and a few yelps two younger birds were coming in from left to right. Being I was to the left side I put my beed on 2nd bird waited for him to shoot.as soon as he did I did. The back bird went flopping the first one pitched up. After a little bit of a debate come to find out we both shot at same bird. Well after that happens we went back around to the main side of the club and tried to find a bird. After not hearing nothing and getting close to lunch time we started to head for the truck. As we were walking he was messing with his mouth call making random sounds. When all of a suddend almost back where we had shot the other turkey I heard a gobble. At first he though I was joking cause the noise he was making sounded nothing like a turkey. However he yelped a few time and he answered. We struck out into a clear cut through a creek and some swamp. Got set up on the hill. He called softly and he answered. A few mins later same thing however no answer.  About 20 mins or so he switched to a slate and again soft yelped and he fired off less than 100 yrds. Finally I see him strutting as he is working right to the gun barrel. He stoodd up on a small knoll with the sun beating down on him making all of his colors shine. He worked to about 30 yrds I pulled the trigger and the gun went click. Well that didn't startle him so I eased the pump back slowly and as quietly as I could. As Im doin this he is still about 30 YDS and working from my front to my left.  Beings I'm left handed I had to turn almost laying in my turkey chair to keep a beed on him. Well I managed to get a shell chambered into the gun and sent the shot his way. He was about 22 lbs with a 9.5 beard and about 1in spurs.when Ever I shot at the first bird I pumped the spent shell out but the gun never kicked a new one in. Don't know if it was a malfunction or I just didn't get pump pulled all the way back. Whatever it was when he went to flopping my heart was racing. That was my 2nd turkey ever and most nurve racking to say the least.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Load the gun
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
Liked your story: never know what to expect on a hunt. It's what makes Turkey hunting so addictive. Congrats on your bird!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.