OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Control Nut sedge or leave it?  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Agarbers

Control Nut sedge or leave it?
« on: December 30, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »
I am working to improve my clover food plot and I started identifying the weeds in it.  One of them appears to be nut sedge, which I assume a grass or broadleaf killer could control. But in researching it, I found out it is the same family as chufa. So... should I control it, or let it grow? If I let it grow, how can I encourage turkeys to start eating it? What can I use to kill the other weeds in the plot but leave the sedge and clover?
Thanks.

Since I posted this I dug up a few of the plants looking for the tubers.  I found nothing, so I assume I have misidentified the sedge.  I have seen the nut sedge flowers on our property but I think it was down in our low-lying ground that stays wet.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 09:04:30 AM by Agarbers »

Offline mossyhorn2

Re: Control Nut sedge or leave it?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:43:42 AM »
Nutsedge can be very tough to control. The plant has a waxy coating on the leaves and this doesn't allow the herbicides to be taken up by the plant. If you do kill the top of the plant it will sometimes still emerge from the small nut like tubers on the roots. As far as a turkey food, I have never seen turkeys trying to eat it and I would imagine you would have to disc or  somehow turn the plant over so they could find it. The nutsedge we have has very small nodules on the roots and I don't think turkeys would waste their time trying to get to them. In my opinion save the clover and kill the rest of the weeds in your plot.

Offline Agarbers

Re: Control Nut sedge or leave it?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:10:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice.