turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blind or No Blind?

Started by Ack, February 10, 2011, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M R Ducks

Anyone try one of those HIP bow mounted blinds yet?

Ducks

TurkeyTom

Last year I killed my first bird with my 835 early in the season and thought it was too easy.  So I tried it with my bow for the rest of the year without a blind. I had a great time.

One day that sticks out in my memory, I had a big tom strutting around my decoys for five minutes and I couldn't draw.  I had ten deer staring at me from 10 - 15 yards the whole time. This year I have a blind and will try that.

Ask the question next year and I'll have an answer for you.   :funnyturkey:

30_06

I like hunting without a blind. It is more challenging, but in my mind at least (and maybe only there) it is more rewarding as well.

M R Ducks

06 - It's all about the chase!  I agree.  I haven't scored yet with a bow and not blind, but I keep trying too....

old3toe

I must be hunting in the wrong places!! Around here if you put a blind up your guaranteed to not see anything..these darn birds have learned over the years or something..they will skirt you by atleast 80-90 yards looking all nervous and i can't count how many times I've had them come through the woods and get where they could make out the blind and either turn left,right,or just turn and go back the way they came!! Seriously I've only killed a handfull from a blind over the last 7-8 years..have to do it the hard way..startin this year I'm gonna start brushing it in like i do for deer or leave it at the house!!!

Ridgerunner7

Killed one with a bow last year without and one this year out of my DB. I enjoy hunting out of the blind sometimes and running and gunning when I get the opportunity.

nickhrp

I purchased a blind just for trying to take one with my bow this year been practicing shooting out of it and like it I like the run and gun with my gun but I'm a large guy and couldn't imagine trying to sneak a draw at 10 to 15 yards on one and getting away with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God Bless the Outdoors

THattaway

Two here so far with bow and no blind, woods birds. First bird was on land where I had to use a bow. Second bird was an hunt "attempt" to not use my last tag too early. Turkeys were made for shotguns IMO but those hunts were as exciting as it gets. Three toms last season inside 15 yards for a while, finally got drawn as they drifted away and center punched a double beard at 25 yards. The real miracle was keeping my composure to do so.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

KS-Hoyt-Hunter

I do both. Depends where I'm hunting mostly. At my dad's place in Missouri he has several blinds set up on his property already. In Kansas, where I live. I mostly public land hunt and I don't set up blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk