OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blind or No Blind?

Started by Ack, February 10, 2011, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

On public land in IL. if I'm not at the roost,just yards away in a blind,in the A.M. to start my hunt the gun hunters will be there shortly after .END GAME.I have shot many birds in the A.M.,took them home and put them in the freezer and was at work at 8:00 A.M.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GSLAM95

Ack my A.T. bud how are you doing?  Good to be over here and see you here, a friend told me about this site and then bigsho mentioned it so here I am. 
I mainly use a DB Dark Horse as well which you already know,  although I have killed birds without a blind it is still my preferred method of bowhunting them.  Good luck this spring.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Buxndiverdux

Quote from: GSLAM95 on March 14, 2011, 11:37:16 AM
Ack my A.T. bud how are you doing?  Good to be over here and see you here, a friend told me about this site and then bigsho mentioned it so here I am. 
I mainly use a DB Dark Horse as well which you already know,  although I have killed birds without a blind it is still my preferred method of bowhunting them.  Good luck this spring.

same here... :z-guntootsmiley:

redleg06

Ive never taken my bow out for turkey this year but after doing a "blind hunt" with my wife last year for the first time, Ive decided to try and make it happen with the stick and string and leave the shotgun at home a few times...

bcc2011

If your bowhunting a blind for sure as for cover put that blind right in the middle of the field or were there is sign. Set out some decoys and those birds dont have a clue your there
Brother Custom Calls

drenalinld

I have killed a few gobblers without a blind and a lot more with it. My best method without a blind is to put the decoys in front of a small pine or cedar and stand behind it. When the gobbler gets to the decoys I draw and then lean out and shoot around the small tree. I have made it work a few times.

I use a DB dark horse. My advice is don't try to hide the blind for turkeys. Put it in the most open spot in the woods or plain view in a field. Put decoys close.

maineguide

A blind is the way to go if you are bow hunting turkeys.

Dan Mallia

Blind.  Can't give them turkeys all the advantages  :lol:

flintlock

If the terrain allows, I love to hunt w/o a blind.   
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

redrivergar

I too use a blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfernash

Double Bull all the way

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

deersled

I've only been turkey hunting 10-12 years. killed 20 birds. 19 with shotgun. Last year I killed my first with a bow and no blind. It has to be the ultimate challenge. If you're not just in to "killing" turkeys......going blindless is a rush!!!!!!!!

savedbygrace

Mike Honcho

I'm an avid bowhunter for deer and am planning on trying turkey hunting this year with my bow from a ground blind.  Will use a new Jake Mobile with a real jake fan and a hen decoy.  Mainly because archery opens about 10 days earlier that shotgun and I CAN'T STAND WAITING that extra 10 days anymore.

One of my spots is a small cornfield along a creek and I am seeing birds walking on the field edge near the creek off and on all day...I'll set up in the corner of the field where I see them most often and see what happens.

I think I'll really be hooked if I am successful....but will probalby always be a shotgunner on turkeys at heart.

savedbygrace

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 23, 2012, 02:57:28 PM
I'm an avid bowhunter for deer and am planning on trying turkey hunting this year with my bow from a ground blind.  Will use a new Jake Mobile with a real jake fan and a hen decoy.  Mainly because archery opens about 10 days earlier that shotgun and I CAN'T STAND WAITING that extra 10 days anymore.

One of my spots is a small cornfield along a creek and I am seeing birds walking on the field edge near the creek off and on all day...I'll set up in the corner of the field where I see them most often and see what happens.

I think I'll really be hooked if I am successful....but will probalby always be a shotgunner on turkeys at heart.

Allow me to go on and warn you that bowhunting for turkeys can be VERY addictive. Like you, I bowhunt deer throughout the deer season. Haven't picked up my rifle for deer in years. I've turkey hunting for many many years but just started bowhunting them about 2-3 years ago. After I killed my first one with my bow, it's been nothing short of a passion for me to want to take my bow every time I go. I do carry my shotgun, but mind is always playing out scenarios, when I'm in the woods with my shotgun, as to how I would hunt this bird with my bow. My kills have been from ground blinds as well. Now my passion to take one without a blind. I've came close several times, but no cigar as of yet.

You have been warned  ;)  ;D