OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blind or No Blind?

Started by Ack, February 10, 2011, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ack

Just curious how most of the bowhunters over here hunt turks. Me....I use a P/DB Dark Horse, mainly because a lot of the properties I hunt are fields with small woodlots where the birds roost. If I had more ground to work with I think it would be fun to move around on them with the bow....just doesn't work out that well at the places I hunt due to lack of cover. Let's hear how and why you do it.

Nature's Echo Calls ProStaff

savedbygrace

I have a lot of cover to work with where I hunt. Usually what I do is I will "run and gun" with my bow in the morning, but as the pace slows down later on in the day I will sometimes sit in one of my DB blinds. I've had GREAT success sitting over dusting holes during mid-day. It can get boring but when you have several turkeys frequenting a specific dusting hole, things can get very interesting.

headbanger

ack, I,m more of a runner and gunner too. I don't own a blind per se but take a piece of camo burlap each time out. If need be I'll throw it up and use it but I prefer using natural stuff like backing up into blowdowns or using root ball from blown over trees.
I do enough sitting at work and in a tree stand...I'd rather be moving. Been busted a few times using this style but killed a few too. Besides, makes good exercise for this old guy :D

hookedspur

It depends on the area and cover I'm hunting , if its primarily fields I will use the blind and i love hunting from one when the birds cooperate .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

timbrhuntr

I tried for 7 years or so to get one with my bow and no blind. I had lots of close encounters but got caught drawing everytime. I usually gave up and got out the shotgun. Two years ago I had a blind and had a nice tom come into 10 yds. I was using the magnus bullhead and he stopped in some thick stuff. If I had my snypers I could have slipped one through and got him. But with the bullheads I didn't want to get a deflection so I let down. He eventually turned and walked off. Good part I didn't get caught drawing. Last year I blew out my rotator cuff so I couldn't draw.This year I am going to try again year with blind. I will get one with the bow eventually.  :bike2:

Fox Fire

I stopped at a army/navy store and picked up a 5x8 ft piece of mesh netting with the idea of maken a lite weight camo somethin to hide behind, I figured it mite give me some wiggle room so to speak, I need to get on the ball with it because spring aint gett'n any farther off.

Kylongspur88

Gonna try with out a blind this year. Plenty of steep brushy hillsides I can post up on and whack one as he comes down a gas road.

WyoHunter

My grandson and I will be sitting in a popup blind in the Kansas youth season. He'll have my 20 ga. and I'll have my Mathews Conquest 3. All we need is a big gobbler or two and we'll be set!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

FLAhotdog

On private land, I will put out the Ameristep Brickhouse.  On private land, I just stick a few palmetto fonds in the ground for some cover.

Muskie03

I've arrowed a few fall hens and jakes without the use off a blind, but didn't get my first gobbler with a bow/no blind until last spring. That is definitely the hardest way to kill a gobbler.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

lightsoutcalls

I hope to spend a couple of weekends in OK and KS with my bow this year... leave the shotgun under the seat of the truck as a last resort.  ;D
I set up the blind last year in Western OK without staking it down.  The next morning it had rolled like a tumbleweed into a gulley nearby.  Note to self... use the stakes.  This same setup offered a wild plum thicket that I could set up in with a clear view of a 4 wheeler trail the birds used to skirt the perimeter of the property.  I may try to set up in there instead of dragging the blind that 1/4 mile back across the property. 
My blind is one of the predator den blinds by primos.  The price was right, but I would love to have one of the matrix 360 degree type blinds instead... just didn't have the extra money. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Fox Fire

When I was a kid I used to find a big tree top left behind by the loggers, you could find one with some tall branches stick'n up they made some good blinds with some work, you could build a seat to get ya off the ground a few feet but you had to be carefull about shake'n the whole thing if you moved around, it was the only draw back.

FttFttVroom!

I bought a Double Bull matrix a few years ago for deer but wanna use it to bowhunt turkey this year.  I need to get up the courage to do it.  It's just so much easier with a shotgun.

Dr Death

Use a blind if you own one. They are the cat's a$$..........
My one buddy says it's cheating. If that's the case, I told him he should be hunting naked.
On second thought......... looking at him, that's a bad idea for all involved.  lol

Cooter

Always hunt out of my blind. Mostly field edges and open areas in the timber. Maybe some day I'll try it with out a blind if the challenge of getting one gets to easy.
-}}}--------->