turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where to get blanks

Started by southern_leo, December 25, 2016, 09:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

Where do yall get blanks? I've read some use Green Valley Lumber and other use Got Wood. When I got on their sites the options looked very limited. Do I need to call? Also I'm assuming purchase kiln dried,  but those still show 6% moisture is that ok? Someone please help this newbie of where and what to buy. Also wood reccomendations for starting out. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

doublespurs21

what kind of wood are you looking for???  aslo , what are you making ??? pot calls, strikers  or box calls,,,  I have all kinds of dry boards,, maybe I can help you out,,,, PM   me and we can talk about it,,  chris

southern_leo

Pm sent

jasonlmartin

Hi,
I am a new member to the forum and saw your post. If you are still looking for lumber, I supply a few call makers with Holly, Butternut, Chestnut, Black Limba, for box calls, and other species for pot calls and strikers. If you are interested, send an email to jasonlmartin100@gmail.com

misfire

And THAT is how you get wood! Once people know you make calls, you get all kinds of connections.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

southern_leo

Quote from: jasonlmartin on February 14, 2017, 10:48:44 PM
Hi,
I am a new member to the forum and saw your post. If you are still looking for lumber, I supply a few call makers with Holly, Butternut, Chestnut, Black Limba, for box calls, and other species for pot calls and strikers. If you are interested, send an email to jasonlmartin100@gmail.com
Awesome thank you. I found a good source or local lumber, for domestics only. I may contact you in the future for some options my local guy doesn't have. Right now I have enough for a little bit. But I will definitely holler at you in the future. Thanks again.

mastevt

Stop by your local county extension office, and get a list of the saw mills in your area.  Pay them a visit.  I have 2 that I use.  Lots of times, I get free stuff that is of no use for anybody else.  Even spaulted  stuff.  I also find, cut and dry my own wood. 

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

nitro

Cormark International - Weaverville, NC
Royal Slam 2008

pauld

Lonehowl

Man, I wish I had one of those close to me. Id be in Heaven. I have a small place I can handpick some stuff from, but otherwise  I like BellForest, they always have good stuff.
Mark

NCbowjunkie

Check out WestPenn hardwoods in Hickory N.C.

New Yorker

West Penn was my go to when they were out here in Olean, NY. Rocky will make sure you are well taken care of. I use eBay now for species that I can find in boards, and Bell Forest for hard to find striker blanks. Bell forest is also my reference for janka hardness and they give a bio for every species when you click on it.

NCbowjunkie

Rocky at West Penn does a great job, he has most any type wood that I'm looking for and a lot more . When I go shopping there I always grab one of the grocery buggies. I'm worse than my wife is at a big mall .  Good thing he is local for me.

Disney

Check out Griffin Exotic Woods. They will custom cut wood for you too. I'm not sure exactly what you need but give it a look. I also see you were told about West Penn Wood.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com