Main Menu

who goes hunting with one call ?

Started by hotspur, December 07, 2016, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Treerooster on January 09, 2017, 10:39:16 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 08, 2017, 10:56:42 PM
Quote from: jims on January 08, 2017, 08:28:29 PM
Greg, I imagine if a hunter sits in the same blind all day there would be a great advantage having several calls to change things up and get hen and toms attention.  However, run and gun hunters tend to cover lots and lots of country and may only need a single call.  When I'm running and gunning it's a lot easier for me to have 1 call in my mouth so my hands are free and I can immediately reply and set up a decoy if needed.  I prefer to go as light as I can so I can remain mobile.  An extra mouth call in a pocket is all I often need!  I've learned to do a variety of different turkey calls with a single diaphragm.
Run-n-gun is about all I do and I can honestly say, I feel naked without having several calls. It's not that I use them all and sometimes, I may only use one but it's nice to have others handy if the bird wants a different sound. I can make several vocalizations on a diaphragm but can't reach the pitch with one of those like I can on a pot or box. Not arguing. Just pointing out that hunters that are carrying many calls aren't necessarily sitting in a blind all day.

Same here. I run n gun and sometimes, sit in one spot for a good while too now and then. Carry a few calls. No blind tho. No decoy either...More room for another call.  ;D

For me there is simply no good reason to carry just one call. They ain't that heavy or bulky.
Agree, no need not to carry more than one call...I've seen a lot more birds killed from sitting in one place and being patience.

quavers59

I try always to take at least 4 callers with me. My natural voice calling from my voice box, and 1 box,1 pot caller, and 1 wingbone or yelper. Sometimes a few more though. Each time, I go out- I switch up and use different callers. I try to use as many as I have each Spring.

Marc

I see no advantage to having only one call...  If I am running and gunning with no response from one call, I will break out another.  I have heard silent woods erupt in gobbling simply by changing calls.

It is my impression, that sometimes you might sound like a slutty hen that the birds are used to hearing...

I can carry a dozen mouth calls without taking up any space...  and I have come to like taking two box calls, and now I am using scratch boxes...

I consider calls toys...  I enjoy playing different calls, and when things are slow in the woods, I will play around with different calls and different sounds...  Sometimes I have been pleasantly surprised/rewarded by unexpected but welcome visitors.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

FullChoke

A few years ago, I had killed 2 of my 3 bird limit here in MS. I took every turkey call out of my vest and spent the rest of the season calling with my natural voice. I didn't get my 3rd, but i would do it again once I get to that last bird of the limit.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Farmboy27

I carry a box and 2 pots but they seldom leave my vest. And of the 6 or so mouth calls, only 2 or 3 get used a lot. I'm more comfortable with a mouth call than a friction call. I could probably carry one mouth call and be just as successful as I am carrying the others. (But after last spring that's not saying much!) lol

BowBendr

I used to carry a vest full of crap when I was younger. Now that I'm much older I'd have no qualm in leaving the truck with a gun, a shell and a mouth call, and never regret it.

I cannot relate to the statement, " I carry a bunch of calls 'cause you never know what that 'ol bird wants to hear."
I have zero interest in hunting a fickle tom that I have to beg a gobble from, I simply know where one is that's ready to play......scouting kills 99% of my birds.

BigBenGobble

I'm late to this thread but considering how light and cheap calls are, I don't think there's any reason to bring only one with you. I bring one locator call, a few diaphragm calls, a friction call....

kjnengr

Like most of the guys have replied, I am at least going to have a fanny pack or vest to carry calls, water, camera, etc.  So if I am going to be carrying some kind of pack, I will have at least two pot calls, a box and a mouth call or two. 

Also like some have pointed out, I have had a few experiences where I was hunting with a partner and he was hitting a box call with no response; however, each time I hit my pot call they would hammer back. 

That being said I don't ever see myself carrying 3-4 pots, 5-8 strikers and two box calls.  I like to keep it somewhat simple.

yelpaholic

I could, but wheres the fun in that....Alot of times ill wind up using just one call on a bird especially if hes hot and likes it...But im still going to take my vest full just my preference

TauntoHawk

I always seem to have a primary that carries me through a season but a few extras are always along you never know when something different sets them off.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

catman529

Depending on the day I bring usually 1 to 3 calls. I like to have 2 so I can change sounds if I call a bird in but don't get a shot the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Never!!!!  I look at Turkey hunting like Fishing, you never know what they are going to respond to.

catman529

Quote from: bbcoach on January 26, 2017, 01:22:17 PM
Never!!!!  I look at Turkey hunting like Fishing, you never know what they are going to respond to.
sometimes I just go fishing with worms. You know you have one call that has done good for you many times, you could take just that one call and do pretty well if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoHunter

I use mostly box calls but not just one. If that's not working I've got just about any other type call in my vest!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Ihuntoldschool

Not me. I always carry at least 2 mouth diaphragms.  Heck if I really feel adventurous I may even carry 3.