OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: who goes hunting with one call ?  (Read 13130 times)

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: who goes hunting with one call ?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »
I HUNT WITH A FEW
THERES THIS OLD TIMMER THAT HUNTS WHERE I DO
PUBLIX LAND ......
AND FOR A VERY LONG TIME HE HUNTS WITH ONLY TWO CALLS
A PUSH PIN @ BOX CALL AND HE EITHER LIMITS OUT , 2 ,
OR JUST GETS ONE. EVERY SEASON ..................
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
Every time I hunt, when I sit down, I have a mouth call in my mouth and a pot call in my hands.  I have killed birds with just the glass call (never needed to make a sound with the mouth call, or did not have time, they came in hard) or I have killed them on rainy days using just the mouth call.  I also carry an aluminum and have used it exactly one time to call in a gobbler. He was a 9" beard two year old that I could see across a clear cut and he only responded to it (none of the other calls I had in my vest would he gobble to). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
who goes hunting with one call ?
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Please!  More like one in every pocket and several more stuffed in a pack.  About like fishing tournaments, take 20 rods each rigged with a different bait and maybe throw 3 during the day!   :funnyturkey:
I fall into this category lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 09:02:28 PM »
What.......................
One call and leave my wheelbarrow at home?
Never.
Although this spring I do plan on cutting back to 1/2 dozen or so.
LOL
 :turkey2:

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 01:10:17 AM »
 I don't.  Neither do I carry dozens of calls either.  But I do have more than one with me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline VaTuRkStOmPeR

• Longbeard
who goes hunting with one call ?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »
I've cut down what I carry considerably and believe the hunting industry has really created a false sense of security in carrying so much crap into the woods.

Most days I'm in the woods with 4 pot calls and 1 mouth call.  If I'm covering big ground I'll cut it down to 2 pot calls and 1 mouth call.

Killing turkeys is about sounding like a turkey and setting up where a turkey will allow himself to be seen comfortably. Some birds will certainly show a preference towards a particular call but the idea of carrying 6+ pot calls and box calls for such a rare situation is wasteful in my opinion.

You're better off becoming a competition quality caller and carrying 2 calls than carrying 6 you're marginal on.  It's all about realism, cadence, and authenticity.

Offline jed clampett

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
I usually carry a couple mouth calls...1 boxcall...1 slate...2 glass/crystal calls a high pitch and a lower pitch and one metal call usually aluminum or copper....and then I may switch them out to different ones after a couple of hunts in the same spot

Offline saltysenior

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »

what % of the turkeys killed are actually coming to the calls or just walking that way ????  I have to admit that I believe some turkeys I killed would have walked down that logging road or firebreak with or without me being there.. 

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »

what % of the turkeys killed are actually coming to the calls or just walking that way ????  I have to admit that I believe some turkeys I killed would have walked down that logging road or firebreak with or without me being there.. 
In my opinion if a person sat down in the woods or field and had to hunt with no call you'd be sitting for a he_ _uva long time most generally waiting for a turkey to appear within bow/gun range. I do agree if you pattern them and know where they are going you could sit there without a call,but  most of the fun of turkey hunting to me is learning every type of call I can and using it to call them in. Do we need a wheelbarrow of calls? no. Do I own probably more than one full? yes...usually carry a trumpet or two,tube,couple of mouthcalls,a mini long box,and a couple of pot calls...figure this way I have it pretty much covered and fill my tags and call for others to help fill theirs. I feel like I'd be short changing my hunt if I could only play one call.

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »
Hunting turkeys is allot like chasing the ladies..... ;D

Tell em, what they want to hear..

From a place, they are comfy hearing it.

With a voice, they want to hear it....

Understanding who & what were dealing with is paramount to success....

One call can work, but I'm incline to carry more then voice......% of success seems to rise ...

Red heads can be a bugger to work with at times......LOL!!

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline turkeyfoot

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »
I usually like a variety but if its raining I'll hit the woods with nothing but gun shell and mouth call

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »
Well, I carry a multitude of call. Many of which get used fairly regular. Having said that, when push comes to shove, I'll grab a mouth call and go. First bird I called to myself (and dad for that matter) was with an HS Strut split v III. I've called in several with that call then moved to a Ma Deuce from the same company. still, I want other calls in my vest because you never know what they really want until they tell you.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
Why would you plan on turkey hunting , getting ready months before season opens to take one call with you in the woods, to me that's like taking your shotgun with just one shell, would you do that...lol...I have killed a lot of birds that have come to my gun barrel with different calls... Taking one call doesn't help if the bird want's something different, what will happen is you go home that day with tag unfield...

Offline jims

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
Greg, I imagine if a hunter sits in the same blind all day there would be a great advantage having several calls to change things up and get hen and toms attention.  However, run and gun hunters tend to cover lots and lots of country and may only need a single call.  When I'm running and gunning it's a lot easier for me to have 1 call in my mouth so my hands are free and I can immediately reply and set up a decoy if needed.  I prefer to go as light as I can so I can remain mobile.  An extra mouth call in a pocket is all I often need!  I've learned to do a variety of different turkey calls with a single diaphragm.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 10:56:42 PM »
Greg, I imagine if a hunter sits in the same blind all day there would be a great advantage having several calls to change things up and get hen and toms attention.  However, run and gun hunters tend to cover lots and lots of country and may only need a single call.  When I'm running and gunning it's a lot easier for me to have 1 call in my mouth so my hands are free and I can immediately reply and set up a decoy if needed.  I prefer to go as light as I can so I can remain mobile.  An extra mouth call in a pocket is all I often need!  I've learned to do a variety of different turkey calls with a single diaphragm.
Run-n-gun is about all I do and I can honestly say, I feel naked without having several calls. It's not that I use them all and sometimes, I may only use one but it's nice to have others handy if the bird wants a different sound. I can make several vocalizations on a diaphragm but can't reach the pitch with one of those like I can on a pot or box. Not arguing. Just pointing out that hunters that are carrying many calls aren't necessarily sitting in a blind all day.