OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: cutting soundboards for potcalls?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline mossyhorn2

cutting soundboards for potcalls?
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »
Does anyone have a good way of cutting out soundboards? I've tried using a hole saw bit on the drill press with mixed results. Just can't figure out a good way to keep nice edges on the soundboard.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Re: cutting soundboards for potcalls?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:47:42 AM »
Normally, I mill down the material in a plainer to desired thickness.  Scribe a circle using a glass soundboard, cut out using my bandsaw, then dress the edges with the disc sander on my shopsmith.  Rotating while gently holding it against sanding disc.  Sand up to pencil mark.  I've thought about even turning some material down with the lathe to desired diameter, and then cut off the desired thickness using a miter saw. Making soundboards out of wood can be a pain.

Online doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »
  I found that when I tape down the 1/8 inch material, it does not move around when cutting it out on the drill press, (2 sided tape), and clamping the board to the table on the press. also, get a very good holesaw for your holes,,, hope that helps..

Offline mossyhorn2

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »
 I figured it might be one of those things that are just going to be difficult, but I do appreciate the help. Thanks for your expertise.

Offline pappy

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • 2014 Midwest Best of Class Air operated tube calls
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:49 PM »
I cut mine on the bandsaw, it isn't hard ...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Offline Steve

• 46 North - North Bay Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:31:32 AM »
I use a holesaw to cut my wood soundboards then dress them up on the belt sander. You really have to have a trick or two when cutting them on the drill press though.

Offline Bseckinger

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
I also use a hole saw on the drill press with double sided tape to attach sound board material to a sacrificial block.  I then dress the edges on a belt sander.  Be sure to clamp the block well. I have also used a 1x as a cutting guide and clamped the sound board material between that and the sacrificial block.  This has worked well for cutting aluminum.  Make absolutely sure everything is secured well!  Sheet aluminum flying around can hurt.

Offline MickT

cutting soundboards for potcalls?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
Anybody ever turned stock to diameter on a lathe then cut to thickness on a bandsaw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
    • www.feathercreekcalls.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
I'll take a 3 inch hole saw cut a 3 in plug out of wood of choice, take that plug and slice it on the bandsaw, I made a jig to slice on bandsaw. piece of cake