turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Including strikers

Started by southern_leo, February 06, 2017, 11:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

Do yall always include a striker with your pots, or sell some without strikers?

Dr Juice

I never bought a pot without at least one striker. It depends on the manufacturer. Good luck.

KentuckyHeadhunter

My opinion is a good callmaker will include a striker, made by himself, that sounds good on that specific pot.  With the knowledge that other strikers MAY work better.  In a box call , for example, the lid is the striker and I wouldn't by a box call or scratch box without a striker made to match that call.  If someone wants to make pots I personally think they must learn to make strikers as well.  Many trumpet call makers have learned to make their own lanyards.  It just goes with the territory.  Not including a striker with your pot would be a red flag for me.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

southern_leo

I plan too when I begin selling mine, but was curious because I've seen several call makers selling pots and never mentioning the striker. I'm always interested in the striker combo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

misfire

I include a striker with every call, one that I made and have ran on the pot to make sure it produces as it should
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

New Yorker

I include strikers with most of my calls, the exception being some calls that I sell on EBay. The thing is, customers that pay up for custom calls tend to already have a dozen or more strikers that they absolutely love. So a lot of them will try your striker then instantly grab one of their favorites that they ordered from someone else. I learned this when I had repeat customers ordering strikers from me made out of specific woods that they request.
So you may be spending an hour or so on a striker that won't be appreciated or used. Six years ago I asked around 30 of my customers if including a striker with the pit call added to the price or value of the call in regards to what they wanted to pay. More than half said the striker made no difference, they were buying the call. My question was phrased to them as a generalization of buying custom calls, not just buying my calls and strikers.
This is why I stopped (for the most part) mending two or more pieces of wood together in my striker handles. It was not raising the value of the call.
My advice is use a very simple striker design if you have any desire to be paid for your time. Focus on sound over beauty and include a striker that you feel plays well with your call.
As you have seen from other posts in the pot call forums, everyone has different ears. A striker that you like the best won't even go in another hunters vest. Turkey hunters have different ears, tastes, likes and you can't please them all.
I hope this information helps you.

Naylor649

I always look for a striker to be paired with the pot but because that's the striker the call maker made for that one pot or at least I hope. Now will I always use that one no but I'm a fan of options.

Steve

I also include a striker with every pot. And not just a dowel stuck in a head that some guys do including the big companies. Without the turned striker the call just isn't complete to me.

southern_leo

Quote from: Steve on March 17, 2017, 06:25:34 AM
I also include a striker with every pot. And not just a dowel stuck in a head that some guys do including the big companies. Without the turned striker the call just isn't complete to me.
I agree. I like one piece turned strikers and plan to send those as much as possible. When it comes to exotic wood strikers I may have to purchase dowels though. I'm only doing domestics right now so that's not an issue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Steve

Just buy your lumber at 4.5"-5" widths. That leaves enough meat for a striker and a pot. Cut to length and turn away. I know, it sounds so easy right?

BABS9

A striker can be just as important as the call. And a lot of times a striker is made and tuned with the call to produce a certain sound the maker or customer wants. To me it's not complete without a striker.

M,Yingling

yes I put striker in with every call ,,to me that's way I want the call to run and sound if new owner decides run his favorite striker on call that's great ,,  I have received a few trade calls in past that didn't come with strikers and was like what the ? ,,, and weather its a 2 piece which I like to tweak with weighted heads or rod lengths (  which I have found  9 out 10 runs better on call then one piece )  or a one piece main thing for the call is turkey sound
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey