turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are Hoyt bows universal

Started by Ranger518SVS, October 01, 2016, 07:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger518SVS

I have a Hoyt spider and put an adjustable one pin sight on it. It's suppose to adjusts 20-60 yards. I can get over 20-30 yards with it installed on my Hoyt but on my Prime I have all the adjustments.
Do I need an Hoyt specific sight?
Thanks

beakbuster10

You shouldn't. What sight? What's your draw length and poundage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger518SVS

Sight is trophy ridge single pin adjustable
Draw length 28"
My draw weight is 60lbs

fallhnt

That sight will work fine with that bow. It may be the way you anchor when at full draw.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

beakbuster10

When you say you can't get over 20 or 30 yards what do you mean? You're getting fletching contact with the sight or are you maxing the sight out? Also what trophy ridge single pin? They make quite a few different models?

Ranger518SVS

Quote from: beakbuster10 on October 03, 2016, 05:40:10 PM
When you say you can't get over 20 or 30 yards what do you mean? You're getting fletching contact with the sight or are you maxing the sight out? Also what trophy ridge single pin? They make quite a few different models?

Sorry, it's a truglo range rover sight.
I max out the sight at about 30 yards. With this sight installed I can only adjust from about 10-30 yards

beakbuster10

First. You should be able to start at about 20 and not worry about having to adjust to shoot 10 yards. There are two sets of mounting holes for the sight. My first guess is you are in holes that leave the sight lower. You need to in the set that leaves the sight higher. (Illustrated in green)

You're needle should be very close to the bottom of the yardage tape, and you're needle should raise up as the distance gets further. Set your needle very close to the bottom(where I marked 20 below) to start sighting in.
Once you have your needle set down around the lowest position, start adjust the actually head of the sight up or down by loosening the two Allen bolts near the head of the sight( my guess is your going to need to loosen the two bolt and slide the entire sight housing up). Leave your slider set to the same position until you get it completely sighted for twenty using the screws, or until you get it very close.

Once it is very close, you can move the slider pointer to get your 20 yard zero. When you have that zero make your mark and continue backing up and sliding the slider up until you run out of room. Should be at least 60 yards.

Ranger518SVS

Quote from: beakbuster10 on October 07, 2016, 05:32:00 AM
First. You should be able to start at about 20 and not worry about having to adjust to shoot 10 yards. There are two sets of mounting holes for the sight. My first guess is you are in holes that leave the sight lower. You need to in the set that leaves the sight higher. (Illustrated in green)

You're needle should be very close to the bottom of the yardage tape, and you're needle should raise up as the distance gets further. Set your needle very close to the bottom(where I marked 20 below) to start sighting in.
Once you have your needle set down around the lowest position, start adjust the actually head of the sight up or down by loosening the two Allen bolts near the head of the sight( my guess is your going to need to loosen the two bolt and slide the entire sight housing up). Leave your slider set to the same position until you get it completely sighted for twenty using the screws, or until you get it very close.

Once it is very close, you can move the slider pointer to get your 20 yard zero. When you have that zero make your mark and continue backing up and sliding the slider up until you run out of room. Should be at least 60 yards.

Thanks for the detailed instructions and your time, got it right now. Thank you again.

beakbuster10

Quote from: Ranger518SVS on October 07, 2016, 01:58:59 PM
Quote from: beakbuster10 on October 07, 2016, 05:32:00 AM

Thanks for the detailed instructions and your time, got it right now. Thank you again.
Good deal glad I could help and glad your got it straight. Best of luck this fall.