turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Conditioning Glass/Crystal

Started by vt35mag, October 24, 2016, 10:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

Just wondering if anyone else conditions the entire surface of their glass/crystals when they are over a plain sound board?  Plain as in no artwork, photos, signatures, feathers etc.  For example, take my poplar bronzed glass over aluminum I got from Brad.  Instead of just playing and conditioning the one spot he conditioned.  I went and conditioned the entire surface, but conditioned it so if I turn the call 90 degrees I have a fresh surface to play on, and the striker drags perpendicular to the direction I conditioned it.  That way if I am in the middle of working a bird and the surface starts acting like it needs freshening.  I just rotate my wrist and have a new spot to play on the call.  Also keeps me from conditioning one specific spot on the call, which I would imagine would thin out over the years.

CMBOSTC

davisd9

Depends but usually do at least half the surface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SwampRooster17

I condition the whole call unless there is something on the soundboard then I condition half the surface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jed clampett

I never condition more than just a 1/4 of the call...usually no more than the spot that has been conditioned....never had a problem when calling...i won't buy a pot that has the whole surface conditioned....but that's just me...i just feel it takes away the looks and value of the pot.

Happy

I condition half. Plenty of surface to work a bird. Course I don't sell any calls if it snt good enough to hunt with in my opinion then I won't sell it. And if it is good enough to hunt then I keep it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Jbird22

I condition maybe a 1.5" square or so. I don't see the need to condition more than that really but that's just me.

Bowhuntr73

I like to only condition what part needed to run the call. I like calls that I can see the soundboard and I shy away from buying calls that to me are "over" conditioned. Just IMO.

vt35mag

Quote from: Bowhuntr73 on October 25, 2016, 05:49:04 PM
I shy away from buying calls that to me are "over" conditioned.

That's understandable. I don't buy calls fully/over conditioned either.  If I want the whole surface conditioned I want it to be my choice to do so.
I don't condition the whole surface of a call with a plain sound board, unless I am 100% I am keeping it. Out of the 25-30 pot calls I have, I only have conditioned the whole surface on three of them.

HFultzjr

What I have done on some calls is condition 3 spots
9 o'clock....12o'clock....3o'clock
Using a different conditioning method in each place. Different stone, drywall, sandpaper, etc.
Play back and forth between the 3.