turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

help me save my boots

Started by hotspur, September 07, 2016, 04:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

Have a pair of snake boots that drowned in the flood, what can I do to restore them?

Greg Massey

That may be hard to do.. i know in the past i'v used a hair dryer and also put lot's of newspaper inside of boots to help dry them out...

wvmntnhick

Maybe start by looking for a new pair. If you're intent on trying to save the ones you have, dry them out and put a good leather conditioner on them if they're in fact leather. If rubber, dry them out and wipe them down with some kind of rubber protectant after cleaning them off. Goes without saying but clean the leather boots as well. And I'm talking about with a toothbrush, not just running water over them until they appear clean.

Happy

A boot drier will help dry them fom the inside out.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

silvestris

I have been using Ballistol on my LaCross Grange boots and most of my leather products the past couple of years.  It seems to soften both and prevent cracking.  As for waterproofing leather, I don't know, not having gotten any of the leather wet.  I clean and lube my guns with Ballistol as well.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

RutnNStrutn

Devastator

Fill the foot bed with quaker oats!After lots of paper towels,newspapers!Boot heaters next.

mwr

Quote from: Devastator on September 09, 2016, 04:04:11 PM
Fill the foot bed with quaker oats!After lots of paper towels,newspapers!Boot heaters next.
or rice.......

mtns2hunt

Quote from: mwr on September 09, 2016, 06:36:36 PM
Quote from: Devastator on September 09, 2016, 04:04:11 PM
or rice.......

Wouldn't Quaker Oats make a big mess when wet? Have to wonder about rice. When my boots laid in the bottom of the boat for four days I just used a boot dryer as always. Dried them quickly and as they hardened used leather conditioner over the next couple days. Worked really well. :z-twocents:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.