turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strikers

Started by hunter78, February 10, 2011, 08:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter78

Hey guys... I got a new Cody slate call for Christmas.  Is the wooden stiker that comes it the way to go, or is it better to go with something else.  If I do need to go in another direction... what sounds/works the best?

thanks!

Preacher

too me strikers make a big diffrence
Romans 8:37

West Augusta

Try every striker that you can get your hands on and then decide which you think sounds the best.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

spurman

:welcomeOG: I know this want be much help.  There are several woods out there that will sound good on slate. You may have to try several to find the sound that you are looking for. Better yet the sound the gobblers are looking for.  :anim_25: this spring.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

hunter78

Any ones in particular I should try?  Thanks guys

shootumindaface

Quote from: hunter78 on February 10, 2011, 08:55:31 PM
Im a huge fan of Dad's Custom calls strikers.. They all run good.. Monkeywood is the best all around striker I have found

VAHUNTER

Quote from: West Augusta on February 10, 2011, 08:14:51 AM
Try every striker that you can get your hands on and then decide which you think sounds the best.
a striker can make all the difference in the world. great advice from West Augusta  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

Jbird22

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 08:56:49 PM
Quote from: hunter78 on February 10, 2011, 08:55:31 PM
Im a huge fan of Dad's Custom calls strikers.. They all run good.. Monkeywood is the best all around striker I have found

+1...Jerry "Dad" White turns some mighty fine strikers. I got a Monkeywood, Purpleheart, Bubinga, and Ebony from him last year and each of them sound good.

Skeeterbait

I have Cody calls.  The Woodhaven laminated hardwood Birch and Oak strikers with flared tip makes them come alive.

VAHUNTER

i'm parchel to purple heart and laminate strikers
Good things come to those who wait

Jbird22

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 10, 2011, 09:29:25 PM
i'm parchel to purple heart and laminate strikers

I'm a fan of Purpleheart myself.

West Augusta

You really need to try them. Some calls like a heavy, dense wood striker and some calls can handle a light striker. A few great calls can handle any striker. I usually start with Black Locust.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

gatrapper

I agree strikers will make a big difference.  I use a Primos Kee Kee Striker.  I have tried several others and my slate likes that striker a lot. 
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Basser69

I bought a pile off eBay for a song. They all sound different from one surface to another. Buy them all and see what you like with that call. Or better yet, take them to the woods and see what them birds like

Reloader

I make my own.  IMO purple heart is the most versatile on every surface.  If tuned properly PH is hard to beat.  I also like hickory as well.  I'll usually have 2 PHs and 2 Hicks in my vest for slate, glass, and aluminum pots.