OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Offseason Dull!  (Read 4521 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Offseason Dull!
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
Hope everyone is doing good! Looking forward to next Saturday as Dove season will open and it will be my first deer hunt that evening if it is not overly hot (opens Sept 1). Hope to be ready for the grey bombers at legal shooting time of 12:00 pm and in a stand around 5:30-6 pm.

Some days it seems like spring is so far away but we are winding down to about 6 months or so. I am so ready for it to get here. Everyone take care and hope to hear from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Re: Offseason Dull!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »
Good to hear from you Donald.  Been out checking trail cams and stands for deer season, our urban archery for antlerless deer starts next Sat.  I put in for some of our states quota hunts and was drawn for a dove hunt on a managed farm on 9/3 so looking forward to that.  Haven't done much wingshooting so gonna load up on shells and see what happens, nice thing is it allows a guest hunter to come with me so I can take my oldest.  Between the two of us we ought to be able to kill at least one.  Looking forward to some squirrel action as well.  Saw some turkeys Wednesday near where I hunt so that got me pumped up, 3 hens.  Haven't seen any poults so far but have seen alot of adult turkeys, hearing mixed reports in our about the hatch.  I will be glad to get out in the woods with a gun in my hand.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »
All well on my side. Been fishing a little and having trouble getting pumped for deer season. It's been so hot down here, plus the fishing has been fair. My daughter started fishing with me (in the boat) this summer and is proving to be good little partner. Considering selling my boat and putting together another one for next summer, but hadn't 100% made up my mind. I plan on making a trip up to SC in the Spring and trying to kill one of Donald's birds, really looking forward to that. He will have one or two tied to a tree for me.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Offseason Dull!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »

6 hours in a dove field and only one kill, I think I need to go to the skeet range and practice.  Saw lots of doves and shot ALOT of shells but Jayden and I at least brought one of own home.  Couple of the other guys there gave us their doves so we ended up with 9 to clean.  Breasted some and plucked 6 for whole roasting.  Looking forward to a couple of tasty meals.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »
One dove is good! My goal is to never get skunked. But it does make you wonder what the average number of shots per bird averages out too! :character0029:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:19:03 PM »
My average was about 25 shells for one.  Not good odds!

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:50:52 PM »
My average was about 25 shells for one.  Not good odds!

It is for the Dove  :z-guntootsmiley:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Offseason Dull!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
Been a terrible dove season, here. Shot twice, just not many birds where I have hunted. Seen others had decent success.

Picked up The Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee and it was a great read and helped with spring withdrawals.  Easy read. Not much to learn from it for someone that has hunted a whole, but some food tidbits here and there. I recommend it.

Picked up a Holloran Wenge/Walnut slate here of old gobbler at a steal. Been wanting to try one and could not pass up the deal. Think it will give me the confidence to finally retire my old walnut Southland with the finish wore off. Tried a few different strikers and am very satisfied.

Hope everyone is doing well and we are not far off now!

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
Good looking caller.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »
Nice pot call Donald.  Been chasing deer since the beginning of Oct. and sent an arrow into a basket rack 7 pointer Saturday evening.  My meat crisis is over!  Been seeing a fair amount of turkeys where I hunt so looking forward to our fall season that opens this Saturday, lot of acorns so there not spending alot of time in any particular spot.  Gonna have to spend a lot time walking and calling.  Good to hear from you.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:01:14 PM by trkehunr93 »

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
Where the pics of the deer?????

Offline eorlando

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 05:47:49 PM »
Where the pics of the deer?????
Ask and you shall receive. All from this year so far and all south Florida swamp bucks.

Untitled by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

Untitled by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2016-10-26_05-39-06 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2016-10-26_05-38-45 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2016-10-26_05-38-08 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2016-10-26_05-37-32 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2016-10-26_05-37-02 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Offseason Dull!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »
Nice pot call Donald.  Been chasing deer since the beginning of Oct. and sent an arrow into a basket rack 7 pointer Saturday evening.  My meat crisis is over!  Been seeing a fair amount of turkeys where I hunt so looking forward to our fall season that opens this Saturday, lot of acorns so there not spending alot of time in any particular spot.  Gonna have to spend a lot time walking and calling.  Good to hear from you.

Let's see this deer if you got a picture, if not a picture of the sausage will do.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Offseason Dull!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »
I'll get it up on ohotobucket, Tapatalk won't seem to let me attach without a Tapatalk account.